Late malt additions - when to do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
So Cheesefood recommended I do a late malt addition for my hefeweizen and that's what I did since he said he had excellent results. That is still in the primary but it got me to thinking, when is a late malt addition a good idea for a recipe and what are the main goals that the technique is trying to achieve? Is this only done for certain styles? How does it affect the whole process?

Thanks! :)

It lightens the beer, primarily, and may also reduce some caramelly flavors. Add the extract with ten minutes to go (enough time for it to sanitize), although some (notably Palmer, IIRC) say that you can add it even at flameout and the residual heat will be enough to sanitize.

Just as important, since your hops will be boiled in a lower gravity wort for most of the boil, utilization will be a lot higher - a considation if making something like an IPA (where you want those hops) or something like Cheese' Caramel Cream Ale, where you do not.

Back