Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Can someone LEARN me about kegging lol or provide a usefull link which does? I have beer fermenting and I was planning to bottle it. but from what little i know a lot of people like to keg?

What is the cost of the equipment

i am not one to do this, but in all seriousness, just search kegging and you will find all the information you need. There is also a specific kegging/bottling forum on this site.

Total cost depends on what you want to get. For me it came to....450 to 500 for a mini fridge, two tap tower with everything else needed.

I would say learn as much as possible before buying kegging stuff b/c it is not cheap.

Total cost depends on what you want to get. For me it came to....450 to 500 for a mini fridge, two tap tower with everything else needed.

I would say learn as much as possible before buying kegging stuff b/c it is not cheap.

geez, wow.
You dont need to really jump that far in right off the bat if you dont want to. if you have a beer fridge now (even that is optional) you can start here. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brew-logic-single-tap-draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html
And add to it from there.

i switched from bottleing to kegging because im moving in a couple weeks. i switched the cheapest i could. i bought a couple used korny kegs, ball lock to attach a sota keg co2 charger, and beer line assembly. all in all i have about $75 invested + extra kegs. i purchaced these items from www.midwestsupplies.com. im not sure what shipping would be on the keg (i live 15 minsfrom there). i would suggest also purchacing a o-ring repair kit and make sure to clean the keg throughly. DJ

Here's the total, so far, from my build:

chest freezer: $50
CL corny keg and co2 tank score: $70
Materials for collar: $50
4 Perlick faucets: $90
4 SS shanks: $70
CO2 regulator: $55
New o-rings: $20
SPENT SO FAR: $405 (damn that added up fast)

Still need to get:
CO2 tank filled: $25
Lines: $??? ($20 maybe?)
Ball-lock quick disconnects: $50
CO2 distribution manifold: $60
Temp controller: $35
STILL NEED TO SPEND: ~$190

Now, I've gone with the high quality Perlick taps so that I don't have to deal with any sticking issues, and I've building my keezer to fit 4 kegs, so the price of some parts is quadrupled.

Kegging doesn't have to be spendy. I posted on craigs saying I was looking for corny kegs, and some guy called me up and GAVE me 12. I bought some o-rings, a cobra tap, and a keg co2 charger. Maybe 40$ total? I use sugar to carb the kegs naturally, and the co2 charger to push the beer. I don't currently have a keezer or fridge for beer. I did pick up a chest freezer cheap cheap cheap off of craigs a while back. I put it on a timer, to run for an hour a few times a day. That worked OK. I've also just put the keg on the back porch in the fall and winter. Kept it fine. I've also set it in a bucket with ice around the keg. That's worked to. Just because you can get all fancy doesn't mean you need to.

The keg of apfelwien I keep inside at room temp with no cooling. I just fill a pint glass with 5-6 ice cubes and pour onto that. Tastes just fine. Over christmas I was gifted a co2 tank and regulator, so I've been using that now. But my home brewery needs more important upgrade now then a keezer. I'll worry about other stuff first :)

Back