Alternative lautering method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iddqd

Reaction score
Okay, so after two extract batches I'm thinking about going over to small AG batches (since I live in a small apartment and don't have a lot of money). The batch size will probably be 10 liters (just over 2.5 gallons).

Anyhow, I found an article on small scale AG brewing on a Swedish website and they had some weird method of lautering that I hadn't seen before. They did the mash in a kettle which was then put on the stove. Then they used an L-shaped copper tube with some metal net in one end and a siphon in the other and used it for sparging. They regulated the flow by adjusting the height of the collection vessel.

What do you think of this method? I'm a bit concerned about the efficiency. They made a pretty low-gravity beer in the example (1.048), and according to my calculations, the efficiency was about 78, but what about bigger beers?

Sorry, I've never heard of that.

I did want to ask if you've considered doing a partial mash using a brew-in-the-bag method? Here's two links: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ and http://www.breworganic.com/tips/Virtual_class/class_mash-extract.htm

For smaller spaces, this might be a method you'd enjoy. Cheers!

:mug:
Yep, but I hadn't seen the breworganic link before. Thanks!
Actually, I'm considering a lot of methods and will probably try several.

I would think that you coud easily batch sparge and siphon teh wort out of the tun...a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. I would get a cheap turkey baster to fill the siphon tubing.

I use DeathBrewer's BIAB method for 2.5 gal batches, and stick the (3 gal) pot in the oven to keep it warm during the mash. I discovered through trial and error that 170*F in my oven holds the mash at 149*F, 175*F at 152*F, 180*F holds perfectly at 155*F. YMMV. Makes for a very easy brew...

I use DeathBrewer's BIAB method for 2.5 gal batches, and stick the (3 gal) pot in the oven to keep it warm during the mash. I discovered through trial and error that 170*F in my oven holds the mash at 149*F, 175*F at 152*F, 180*F holds perfectly at 155*F. YMMV. Makes for a very easy brew...
Thanks. How's the efficiency for higher OG brews?

Back