ring burner red flame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a bayou classic burner with the 55000 btu ring burner. I went to fire it up today to hear the strike water and it wont fire up correclty. I'm getting really tall read flames, not a nice tight blue flame like ususal. Anyone have any idea what this might be? I have no clue

Cleaned out the ring (didn't look to bad anyways) from the top with a scrubby. Also, the valve connecting the burner to the regulator seems A OK. Still not a good flame. Any more ideas, I don't know

I have a Bayou Classic (I bet like yours) and all you have to do is adjust the air inlet 'til you get a nice blue flame. If yours is missing the adjustable air inlet (the silver looking piece that rotates), then that is also a problem.

I don't know if I'm really getting the problem across here. Its not a matter of adjusting the flame. I'm getting a 2 ft. tall red/oragne flame. Is it possible that my regulator is messed up and I'm not getting the proper propane/air mix or something. I really don't know how these work that much, so maybe I'm not even really understanding the problem, but I do know I'm not brewing now today. :(

I'm out the door on the way to work, so this has to be short....

You do NOT want a tall flame. You want a fairly short blue flame that sort of sounds like a rocket engine. Adjusting the air intake (like I described above) will usually accomplish this. Either by opening OR closing it some

You may have a regulator problem, I don't know.

Edited: okay, I see you already know you want a tight blue flame. Maybe someone else here can lend a hand...

Inside the burner, there should be a little round piece that has a pinhole in it...it might be missing, which means the burner is getting too much air. Mine lost this little pinhole plug and did the same thing. I took one from an old burner and it was fixed.

The other thing that really puzzles me is that I've used this burner 5-6 times alredy, never had any trouble. I don't know what could have happened!

Well, I got it all figured out. Turns out radarbrew was right. It was cobwebs, but I had to take the whole burner apart in order to get them out. I wish that I had done that before I decided not to brew today :) Thats allright, I'm taking time off work this week for brewing and kegerator conversion!!

Cobwebs in the water heater are the number one cause of RV fires, according to my insurance company. Going from a one inch flame to a two foot flame would do it.

your burning without enough o2 mixed with your gas blue flame is hot yellow or orange is cold if you have an air intake it's clogged ...or not adjusted properly.

Back