Help, I need a Sunburn Cure!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Today I spend a nice day on the lake with ample amounts of my Two Hearts clone. :mug: I got a little druck and ended up like a lobster! :( Anyone have a good cure? I'm dying here!

Solarcaine spray is the only thing that works (for a few minutes at a time, anyway) for me.

Today I spend a nice day on the lake with ample amounts of my Two Hearts clone. :mug: I got a little druck and ended up like a lobster! :( Anyone have a good cure? I'm dying here!

ALoe gel...and lots of it. Every 20-30 minutes it should absorb and it's time to re-apply.

Oh...and take two aspirin and another Bell's. :D

thanks so much everyone. I know I need some aloe. I think more two hearts too! :mug:

:off: Mike, I think see you just crossed 2K on the posts...

I'm right there with ya brewer!

Spent 9 hours on the roof yesterday laying shingles....I even used sun block like a responsible adult!....what I forgot was my plumbers crack. Nice Effen place for a now blistering sunburn!

Get some of that AloeVera gel with Lidocaine in it, take a cold shower and then rub some on. Plus keep it in the fridge so it goes on nice and cool.

Might also take some B vitamins and niacin. If you get a good niacin flush going for a couple of hours, you'll feel a lot better afterwards.

If you catch it in time, when the skin is at the red/shiny stage, topical steroid creams can actually prevent blistering & peeling. All the really good ones are by prescription only but some over-the-counter hydro-cortisone might do the trick. If there are already signs of blistering, it's probably too late.

If it's too late, the previously mentioned aloe-vera with Lidocaine is the best thing going. It truly eases the pain, but I've found you have to keep re-applying it...more than is recommended on the bottle.

Alcohol can actually aggravate sunburn, but you may want to get blitzed anyhow!

+1 on the aloe/lidocaine. And I thought I was the only one who kept a bottle in the fridge.

I spend a lot of time in commercial kitchens. I keep a small container of Burn Away in my kit. Works wonders for all sorts of burns. It smells a little funny, but is pretty great for sunburn.

Chad

You're not going to believe this, but Milk of Magnesia works great!!!

I've burned all my life and since having a heart attack my medication has made my skin sensitive to the sun and I can get a blistering sunburn at 60F...spring time is dangerous for me that way.

Get the MOM!;)

If I don't have aloe with lydocaine, a good soother (and also helps to remove burned skin a few days later) is a wash cloth soaked in about a 50/50 solution of milk and ice water, then draped over your burned regions. After it's soaked for a few minutes, you can gently rub and it will remove any loose skin that's become loose due to the moisture.

You may also consider an oatmeal bath if you got burned in strange places.

Someone mentioned a cold shower. I'm recommending lots of cold showers, especially as the burn starts to redden. They don't have to be long, just dip in and out every 10 or twenty minutes for a minute or two...

Aloe is the best lotion/creame IMO
Sleep can realy help, that is if you can sleep.
Vitamins won't hurt either...

If you can find it coppertone coolbeads its like a magic bullet for sunburn put it on the second you realize you've gotten burned and every couple hours till you go to bed. I'm having a hard time finding it now though (Canada)

good luck lobster boy

Ouchies! I burnt my shoulders pretty good last weekend and I'm still noticing some sensitivity in the area... altho it itches like hell...

Aloe gel, throw it in the fridge and every 20-30 mins rub it on... the cold gel feels sooooo good on the burns... oh and a cool shower won't hurt either.

I don't know why this works, especially since its an acid, apple cider vinegar. It sucks the burn right out. Just blot it on with a paper towel. Down side is you smell like a salad. Don't use white vinegar, it not the same.
No love for white vinegar, huh? The white vinegar always worked for me.:)

I always used vinegar when I was young... after a warm shower.

But since they started making it, the aloe gel with lidocaine is the shiznickel! That's all I use anymore.

I always used vinegar when I was young... after a warm shower.

When my Uncle first moved to Florida, well you can guess this part of the story, a lady at the local store had him pull off his shirt and she just literally dumped Vinegar on his back. I have no evidence to back this up, but he claims it really did reduce the pain a great deal. *shrug*. It's worth a shot.

I always used a plain old tea infusion. I would make a really strong pot of tea. I mean like 6 times stronger than normal. I would cool the infusion in the fridge or freezer until it was cold and use an old rag ( the tea will stain ) to blot it on the burn. For places like the nose and around the eyes, I would use the cold used tea-bag to blot.

If the burn was really bad and over a large part of my body, I would go buy a couple jars of the cheepest instant tea ( no lemon flavor, just plain) and pour it into a tub of cool water and soak as long as I could.

Be careful about staining your tub. SWMBO can get pretty pissed with a two-toned tub after you soak in a tea bath.

This always seemed to work for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Cake

I don't know why this works, especially since its an acid, apple cider vinegar. It sucks the burn right out. Just blot it on with a paper towel. Down side is you smell like a salad. Don't use white vinegar, it not the same.
+1234

When my Uncle first moved to Florida, well you can guess this part of the story, a lady at the local store had him pull off his shirt and she just literally dumped Vinegar on his back. I have no evidence to back this up, but he claims it really did reduce the pain a great deal. *shrug*. It's worth a shot.
+5678

It sounds weird, but vinegar does seem to tone down the "heat" from a bad sunburn. The downside is that you walk around smelling like salad dressing. I think the easiest way to apply is from a spray bottle. Spray down, let dry (don't rub), and in a few minutes it will feel better. You'll still know you have a sunburn, but it does take the edge off.

SWMBO burns really badly -- Irish heritage and all. She swears by the Banana Boat brand of aloe+lidocaine, and won't use anything else for a burn.

I use a mineral oil with vitamin E to reduce/eliminate peeling. This is NOT for stopping the burn. I don't even think it's good for burns. But it will prevent the peeling, which is good after the burn subsides...

Hands down for me (lots of sunburn experience due to my fair skin and deep seeded loathing of lotions) is a really cold shower. I am a cold weather person and have a VERY high cold temperature threshold, so most people wouldn't likely do this, but if you take a 15-30 minute shower at the coldest temperature your shower puts out, (at least here out ground water is ~50degF year round) you will be freezing your ass off, but almost burn free. That actually cures it and you will be clean, thoroughly woken up, and you don't have to mess around with covering your body in goo :(

I've always just lived with it... I'll be sure to check on the Aloe+Lidocaine from now on. Fortunately, my annual "Oops, I didnt' think I was getting burned!" event has not happened this year. This is from two years ago.... I won the Scarlet Lobster award.

P1000655.JPG

HA! I just noticed I did the "Lazy Eye" on that pic!

Codeine, I've got a decent stash from awhile back.....that'll take the pain away :D

Then it's cold aloe like everyone else says...

:off:
Back in the day my stepmom used to put straight up aloe on me...I mean like she'd go and clip a leaf and put it on me. Every freakin time though one of the needles would get stuck in me and hurt even more! I think she was just trying to hurt me :confused:

Back