Had my first Screw up with AG.....Well kinda...Not Really

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceans11_gt

Reaction score
So I was brewing my first Nut Brown yesterday morning which is only my second AG batch and everything was going as to plan. After collecting my pre-boil volume from the MLT I took my pre-boil gravity reading and found it to come out REALLY low (1.038). Supposed to be around 1.046. After thinking I botched my efficiency to around 55% when I had Beersmith set to 75% I resorted to "Designing Great Beers" and calculated the amount of DME to add in order to hit my Expected OG of 1.054.

At this point, I was happy with myself for actually taking the time to figure out everything I needed instead of just being satisfied with a low efficiency beer. After adding the DME to the boil, it dawns on me..... I never adjusted the 1.038 for the temp of the Mash. :smack:

Now I go back to Beersmith and recalculate and find out that I originally blew 75% efficiency out of the water to the tune of 85%ish and now have a higher potential alcohol Nut Brown on my hands with the DME addition.

Now, this is by no means a bad thing, however it is way out of style now which is what I was trying to do for the first few batches of AG. None the less Everything else went according to plan and I still have beer.

Here's to my weekend brew story!!:mug:

Did you adjust your ibu's? If you did then your fine. And even if you didn't am sure it will be good just not as hoppy as originally planned.

I did not. I will take note of that if it happens again. It's only supposed to be 27IBU so if its a bit less I probably won't notice much. Even if I knew, I wouldn't have had extra hops on hand anyway. Thanks

Back