Adding hops at flame out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philistine

Reaction score
So I want to add hops at flame out for some hop aroma. How much should I add? How much is too much? Is leaving them in for the ~20-30 minutes it takes to chill my wort enough?

Too much hops?! Blasphemous!

Kidding aside, I like 2 oz for hoppy styles and .5 to 1oz for others. You can let stand for 10-15 min or chill straight away. The style should dictate your approach more than anything.

I'm working on a Saison recipe. This has been a bit of an up hill battle since it seems the style is has a wide variability. From my research Saisons should have a low to moderate hop aroma. My current recipe has 1.5 oz (equal parts Northern Brewer and Styrian Goldings hops) added at flame out.

20 to 30 min is ok but if you can find a way to cool it faster would be best. As for aroma nothing works better than dry hopping. Take 1-2 oz pellet or whole leaf hops and put them in the beer after beer is finished fermentation and cleaning up about 3wks normally. Then dry hop it for one week.

If you want a stronger hop aroma in your saison then 1.5 oz would be better than 1. Unless we are talking about a competition beer then it is whatever you like best :)

20 to 30 min is ok but if you can find a way to cool it faster would be best.

Bullocks. I do 30-60 minute stands at 170-180º for hoppy styles, then finish chilling. The only reason not to is if you don't like hoppy beer.

As for aroma nothing works better than dry hopping.

Again, bullocks. Do a hop stand and you'll agree.

OP, if you want a lot of hop character in this beer, let your hops stand (steep) in the wort 20-30 mins before chilling... or chill to ~180º, add hops, stand and then finish chilling. If you're not looking for a ton of hop character, then maybe no knockout addition at all, or just a small one and a fast chill. Either way you go is fine for the saison style as long as you don't overdo the amount of hops. :mug:

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Bullocks. I do 30-60 minute stands at 170-180º for hoppy styles, then finish chilling. The only reason not to is if you don't like hoppy beer.

Again, bullocks. Do a hop stand and you'll agree.

OP, if you want a lot of hop character in this beer, let your hops stand (steep) in the wort 20-30 mins before chilling... or chill to ~180º, add hops, stand and then finish chilling. If you're not looking for a ton of hop character, then maybe no knockout addition at all, or just a small one and a fast chill. Either way you go is fine for the saison style as long as you don't overdo the amount of hops. :mug:

Never tried a hop stand. does this method provide more bitterness? Aroma? Or both? For the finished product. Also cause I'm wondering if I don't dry hop and just doing a hop stand be as effective as dry hopping?

Never tried a hop stand. does this method provide more bitterness? Aroma? Or both? For the finished product. Also cause I'm wondering if I don't dry hop and just doing a hop stand be as effective as dry hopping?

It mainly provides flavor and aroma, but in ways different from late additions in the boil. Arguably, some IBU will be imparted as well, maybe as much as a 10 min boil addition. The flavors and aromas you get in a hop stand depend a lot on the temps, but between 160-180º F you will get loads of juicy hops aroma and flavor that you can't get in the boil. Generally, when I do post boil hopping, it's in an IPA or APA that I also dry hop, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a replacement for dry hopping but I did my 4th of July pale ale recipe with no dry hops and a massive 60 min hop stand starting at 170º down to ~145º by the end and the aroma was fantastic.

edit: If you haven't read it, BYO did a great article on hop stands earlier this year

NordeastBrewer77 said:
It mainly provides flavor and aroma, but in ways different from late additions in the boil. Arguably, some IBU will be imparted as well, maybe as much as a 10 min boil addition. The flavors and aromas you get in a hop stand depend a lot on the temps, but between 160-180º F you will get loads of juicy hops aroma and flavor that you can't get in the boil. Generally, when I do post boil hopping, it's in an IPA or APA that I also dry hop, so I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a replacement for dry hopping but I did my 4th of July pale ale recipe with no dry hops and a massive 60 min hop stand starting at 170º down to ~145º by the end and the aroma was fantastic.

edit: If you haven't read it, BYO did a great article on hop stands earlier this year

Hey thanks for the reply I will try this in one of my ipa variations and do a review on it on my YouTube channel. Does letting your wert sit that long say a 30 min or even an hour before chilling at 180 pose an issue off flavors ect...again good info thanks.

Hopper5000 said:
If I am doing an IPA I have added upwards of 5 oz at 0 min. That was a good one....

5?! Wow $$$. I love hops and the more the merrier must have been an expensive brew unless you didn't add any at 10 and 5. I think the most I've added a 00 is 2.

Hey thanks for the reply I will try this in one of my ipa variations and do a review on it on my YouTube channel. Does letting your wert sit that long say a 30 min or even an hour before chilling at 180 pose an issue off flavors ect...again good info thanks.

No issues whatsoever.

If I am doing an IPA I have added upwards of 5 oz at 0 min. That was a good one....

My house IPA has an half pound at knockout, 30 min stand. Kettle hops are ~60 IBU of hops or extract at first wort, followed by a 4 oz shot of hops at 5 mins. It's insanely good.

Ya I wasn't really paying attention to the money aspect. It was actually one of those end of the year IPA's where I had a bunch of whole hop flowers left over that I needed to get rid of. I think I ended up using about 8-10(ish)oz in the boil and about 4 for DHing. It actually ended up winning 2nd in the 3rd largest comp in CA so I guess I did something right, lol.

I don't really stand it when I do it, it probably only sits there for a few min above 180F since I immersion chill. Correction, it was actually 4oz... I have also played around with doing a 1oz 0min addition for my pale ales instead of dry hopping which I have been liking.

Hopper5000 said:
Ya I wasn't really paying attention to the money aspect. It was actually one of those end of the year IPA's where I had a bunch of whole hop flowers left over that I needed to get rid of. I think I ended up using about 8-10(ish)oz in the boil and about 4 for DHing. It actually ended up winning 2nd in the 3rd largest comp in CA so I guess I did something right, lol.

Wow ya congrats on an award winning beer good stuff.

Thanks for the accolades :)

Here's the recipe:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/23984/white-ipa

I was making a "white ipa" but no one picked up on the quantity of wheat that was in there and only 1 judge commented in the pilsner malt (both of which I don't think are technically to style). I made it again and cut out the pilsner and it was still pretty tasty. Because of all the hops and wheat it is pretty cloudy which took about a month in the keg to clear up (I had to leave town for a month and it cleared while I was gone).

OP - sorry for the thread jack

OP - sorry for the thread jack

Not at all. I'm always interested in a more free flowing discussion. More to learn.

As for my original question I'm going to reduce the hops to 1oz and steep at 180F for 10 minutes based on the feedback here.

Thank you for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back