Fermenter lid blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdround

Reaction score
So I finished brewing at 3am, and awoke at approximately 10am. At some point the lid blew off my fermenter pail and made a heck of a mess. Long story short, cleaned the lid up, and put it back on and it still seems active. I think it blew off just before I awoke, so I might have caught it early, but not sure.
OG is 1.061 – brewing sent all as planned.
So that being said, is this beer ruined or should it still be ok? NEVER had a lid blow off……

Cheers,
John

With all that krausen & co2 production,it'll be fine as long as the lid was sanitized after cleaning it up. Dito with the airlock,although a blow off would've been cleaner...

What the heck were you making that blew the lid off? was there a airlock / blow off tube in place? I'd wait it out and give it a taste. If it tastes good (or at least drinkable) it's good enough for me,

Same thing happened to one of my coworkers. He put the lid back on after cleaning it and it made the best dog-gone belgian triple I have ever had.

I'd guess that as long as it is bubbling it would be worth the risk to continue.

But dang, that's too bad to wake up to that ! :(

I am making a BB whisky barrel stout kit. Using a Ale Pale: I know crazy, never thought one of those lids could ever blow off (I am using an airlock btw)... Temp in the area I had it was around 72f. Moved it to an area of the house that is 68ish F. So that might help me out. I am still getting a great airlock activitiy, and it smells great. So should be ok.

In all my panic, I posted asap and like others did not google search this. Looks like it happens and all turns out good....

So fingers crossed....

BTW: no pics! To busy cleaning up the scene before my Wife gets up to worry about taking pictures.

What gets me about the BB ale pails is how tight the lid snaps on. I just about can't pry it off with my fingers. But add some co2 pressure & POP! goes the lid.

I almost always start with a blow off tube now for primary. I had a close call a couple of months back. Came down the next morning after pitching and saw krausen had worked to the top of the lid and was getting into the airlock. I was probably an hour away from it gumming up completely, so I found a length of tube that would fit over the pipe that comes up on the inside of the 3 piece airlock and stuck that on there. I went ahead and made up another one so I can have 2 on hand at any timei and they work with all the stoppers I already have. Really, for no more than a couple of bucks, it's well worth the piece of mind it gives me.

I almost always start with a blow off tube now for primary. I had a close call a couple of months back. Came down the next morning after pitching and saw krausen had worked to the top of the lid and was getting into the airlock. I was probably an hour away from it gumming up completely, so I found a length of tube that would fit over the pipe that comes up on the inside of the 3 piece airlock and stuck that on there. I went ahead and made up another one so I can have 2 on hand at any timei and they work with all the stoppers I already have. Really, for no more than a couple of bucks, it's well worth the piece of mind it gives me.

Because my airlock was still WAY to active, I just quickly took another lid, sanitised it along with a tube, and setup quickly setup my first blow off setup. The other end is in a pail with sanitized water. Think this is going to be the way I will go to for the primary going forward. Crazy morning.

What gets me about the BB ale pails is how tight the lid snaps on. I just about can't pry it off with my fingers. But add some co2 pressure & POP! goes the lid.

Surface area...

A lid for the pail is about 100in^2 area so even if just 1 or 2 PSI built up you'd have quite a lot of force acting on the lid.

I made my first brew on Thursday and everything seemed to go well apart from maybe adding a little to much yeast. On Friday afternoon I checked on it and the air lock had blown off and made a mess. I put the airlock back on but I havent really seen and activity since. Is it ruined?

I also switched to a make shift blow off tube so there are hopefully no more messes!

Latest posts

Back