i need corny keg info...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhalingtrees

Reaction score
I just found a place that has used corny kegs for sale anything against them or any problems? Also they are pin lock, I am a beginner with kegs so I'm not sure what the different styles are for exactly like ball or pin lock....and with these kegs can you carbonate with both priming with sugar or co2 tank?

Very few homebrewers buy new corny kegs. There's no problem with used ones, you might just need to replace the o-rings.

Pin locks are a little wider than ball locks, which may be an issue with space in a kegerator ( that little amount could be the difference between fitting 3 or 4 kegs in a kegerator ).

Used cornies are fine. As mentioned above, you just need to break them apart and replace the o-rings ( buy o-rings from McMaster-Carr and save a ton of money - search this forum for part #'s ). The big issue would be dents around the opening of the keg, which may allow co2 to escape if they can't seal properly.

Yes, you can carbonate wwith co2 as well as priming sugar in a keg. I naturally carbed a mild a couple years back and it was great.

I saw a brand new keg on sale for $78 the other day ( I think it was posted on Homebrew Finds ). I wonder if this is an indication that prices for new ones are coming down. It's getting to the point where the used ones are in short supply, and their prices are getting higher and higher.

Most vendors that sell reconditioned kegs, will have both the ball lock and pin lock styles. The Ball lock are becoming harder to find in bulk, so we think there will be a big swing to the pin lock style. You will be able to prime or force carbonate with CO2 in either style. Feel free to live chat with our guys or send us an email. Pin Lock - 5 Gallon Reconditioned Keg

Thanks I think I'm guna have to buy them then. But what exactly is the ball or pin lock for? Is one harder to hookup than the other?

they're both easy to hook up, it just has to do with the gas/liquid terminals that attach to the top of the keg.. doesn't matter which you get, just try to stay consistent if you get more than one so you only need one type of connections in your setup

They are both the same volume, but as mentioned above, the pin locks (Coke style) are wider in diameter and shorter. You may need the skinnier ball lock (Pepsi style) to fit in your fridge or you might need the shorter pin locks to fit so try to work out your dimensions before you buy. Also, as mentioned, both are easy and neither is better, but ball lock fittings are a bit easier to find (same price). O-rings are cheap, easy, and mandatory to replace of course, and you can even replace the posts. You can put ball lock posts on a pin lock keg, and vice versa. One up on the make sure the main seal lip is in perfect shape because a new o-ring won't fix a dented lip. Another consideration is that the ball lock kegs usually have a pressure relief that you can operate manually any time you like. The pin lock kegs usually don't have this, but just a pressure based pressure relief system which is more for safety, not for convenience. I came across free pin locks so I built a 6 keg kegerator but when the fridge had to be replaced the kegs wouldn't fit so I was forced to switch to ball locks. The only real difference between the two (the pressure relief) made me happy with the way things turned out.

Yea I'm planning on building a keggerator I've already got the fridge just need corny kegs and fittings and hoses thanks for the advice

Back