Alternative to conical fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started building my conical fermenters as an alternative to these. Let me explain:

I want to brew 10-15 gallon batches. I don't want to pay for a commercial conical, so I started looking at alternatives. These keg-style fermenters looked great. My problem: I can't find a used keg at a good price, and I couldn't find those cool stainless pool filters like Monster Mash has. Oh, and I don't want to be a dirtbag and scam a keg by not returning it for the deposit. So, for $300, I can get a keg fermenter. For only slightly more, I can get all the parts to build my own conical, which is what I was looking at in the first place. And, if you haven't noticed, I like to build stuff.

I have high hopes for the success of your conical, Yuri. Who knows? I might want one.

I've been watching your conical fabrication skills, Yuri, and am impressed:rockin:

I too am interested in doing 10 gal. batches and figured these would be a good alternative considering they are almost half the price of a conical (new). I may just try to find plastic fermentors for now and decide which way I want to go in the future as far as stainless is concerned.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys.:mug:

Flyin' Lion said:
Just saw this on Morebeer.com and was wondering if this at least compares to the flexibility that conical fermentors provide (dry hopping, pulling samples etc,)? This also appears to be a potential DIY project for the industrious individual.

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=7144

Any thoughts?

I'm probably wrong but I thought sabco says you can use the racking tube to collect yeast and dump the trub. I think that it rotates. Again I might be wrong here.

Todd said:
I'm probably wrong but I thought sabco says you can use the racking tube to collect yeast and dump the trub. I think that it rotates. Again I might be wrong here.

More or less. They say you can siphon out about 85% of the trub and yeast slurry. It doesn't seem like quite as fine a level of control as you have with a conical.

You know, if you took one of the SABCO fermenters, cut the bottom out, then welded on a small stainless conical funnel and added butterfly valve and legs to the keg, you might be able to turn it into a conical with true dumping capability. It already comes with a racking port.

Monster Mash said:
A corny is only 5 gallons, that keg is 2 cornies welded together to make it 7 gallons, that is why it is $150.
I guess that makes it better. Maybe that's what I'll do with the 5 used (now topless) cornies I have leftover from my conical project.

I use a conical fermenter from Hobby Beverage made from Nalgene. It works great and only cost about $150. They advertise in all the home brew mags.

Dr Malt

Monster Mash said:
A corny is only 5 gallons, that keg is 2 cornies welded together to make it 7 gallons, that is why it is $150.

They say they added 7 inches to the height for a capacity of 6.6 gallons. I don't have a corny to measure the stainless steel part of it, but I'm betting they could get three 7 inch sections out of a corny, or maybe a couple of 7 inch sections out of a damaged one. Nice way to use up otherwise useless scrap cornies.

It seems like a perfect fermenter for 5 gallon batches at that price point. Extremely strong and durable, and several will fit in a full-size fridge for lagering. The price certainly seems right, considering that you can ferment a full five gallon batch in one, then use CO2 pressure to rack to a secondary regular 5 gallon corny for conditioning then serving. You'd be able to collect the yeast and trub slurry, wash it, and save the yeast in the same you would with a glass carboy after racking to secondary. I don't see any real disadvantage to using these in place of regular carboys, aside from cost, and there are undisputed advantages due to their durability and space-saving design.

If you just bought the lid that Yuri pointed out for $29 and used it with a regular-sized corny, how many gallons could you ferment in it? I know you need some headspace. Maybe 4 gallons?

beer4breakfast said:
If you just bought the lid that Yuri pointed out for $29 and used it with a regular-sized corny, how many gallons could you ferment in it? I know you need some headspace. Maybe 4 gallons?
I wouldn't hesitate to ferment a full 5 gallons with a blow-off tube...sure, you'd run the risk of losing a quart or so from blow-off, but it oughta work.

Back