another possibly stupid question. lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iguana

Reaction score
Since i did my brew outside last night, i was thinking maybe bugs could get in the wort so i put a lid on it covering most of it. when i cooked it inside, I never covered it. should I cover or not? will that effect the wort much?

Boiling with a lid on can cause some issues. There are sulpher compounds that are produced in the wort during the boil. With an uncovered pot, these farty-smelling things just boil off and evaoprate. If the pot is covered, those things can remain in the beer and you could taste them in the final product.

I wouldn't really worry about it, but something to remember.

As for bugs.... if they get in there, they will promptly die and be sterilized. They will not cause anything bad to happen to your beer (though it might be unsightly to see a fly or bee floating in the carboy.)

-walker

Iguana said:
... so i put a lid on it covering most of it.

Ahh.. i misread that. If your lid was only partially on, then you won't have any issues with the sulphur. Most of it will have escaped in the steam through the hole you had left open.

This method is just fine.

-walker

Walker said:
Ahh.. i misread that. If your lid was only partially on, then you won't have any issues with the sulphur. Most of it will have escaped in the steam through the hole you had left open.

This method is just fine.

-walker

Yea, i had some uncovered to leave room for the thermometer. ;)

Thanks!

I leave my thermometer clipped to the side of the kettle the entire time, from adding water at the start til I am about to rack to the primary. This way I can adjust the water for the grains and later I don't have to worry about sanitizing it before cooling. I write down everything, including temps...I'm anal that way.

My only take on this is if you have a covered pot you are more likely to have a boil over since you can't see the wort and can't anticipate the foam overflowing.

2nd Street Brewery said:
My only take on this is if you have a covered pot you are more likely to have a boil over since you can't see the wort and can't anticipate the foam overflowing.

I checked it about every 5 minutes and adjusted accordingly. :drunk:

Walker said:
you use a thermometer DURING the boil?

-walker
I put my thermometer into the boil when I add the immersion chiller, during the last 20 minutes. That way both are sanitized for use during the cooldown.

Back