Seconday additions; beed some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
So, I'm brewing Northern Brewers sweet stout extract kit. I was thinking about adding some espresso and or chocolate to the secondary. How should I successfully go about this? Thanks!

TacomaHomeBrew said:
So, I'm brewing Northern Brewers sweet stout extract kit. I was thinking about adding some espresso and or chocolate to the secondary. How should I successfully go about this? Thanks!

P.S. it's a 5 gallon batch.

For the espresso,boil it, get it cold and add to secondary..the chocolate you can either melt and pour in or starsan it and toss it in..just make sure whatever gos in there is clean

You can just add the coffee to the bottling bucket at bottling time. Brew it very strong, and add to taste. Maybe do a small test and see how much coffee is needed to make a pint of the beer taste great, then multiply by the number of pints you have. For chocolate, I would recommend cocoa nibs. Soak them in just enough booze (vodka, everclear work well here) for a day, discard the booze (or drink it, yum) and add nibs to secondary. Taste often and when it's good rack to bottling bucket.

Back