aging apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chormang

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I started my first apfelwein about a week ago and I have a question about aging it. It is currently fermenting in a plastic bucket. I gather that it needs to stay in primary for at least a month but the longer the better. My question is, will I get the same results if I bottle it after a month and then age in bottles, or is there a good reason to keep it in the plastic bucket for its aging?

odds are you apfelwein isnt going to be clear after a month. Mine took almost exactly 2 for it to finish and clear. Your correct, the longer you age the better it comes out but you dont usually want to age it in plastic due to oxidation issues. I would suggest either racking to a better bottle carboy or traditional glass if your going to age it but wait the two months. I recently found apfelwein from 2 years ago in the back of my fridge and it was heavenly....

So you think that oxidation would be an issue if I kept in in the plastic bucket for 1-2 months? I should mention that this is an "ale pail" which came with a brewing kit, so I would think that the plastic its made of would be just as good as the plastic in a better bottle carboy.

So you think that oxidation would be an issue if I kept in in the plastic bucket for 1-2 months? I should mention that this is an "ale pail" which came with a brewing kit, so I would think that the plastic its made of would be just as good as the plastic in a better bottle carboy.

No it won't be an issue.

2-3 months in the bucket and then bottle. Make sure you refill your airlock with water as it evaporates. Leave it atleast a year other wise it will taste like cheap white wine or hooch. and make some apple cider next time if you want a good apple tasting alcaholic beverage in a tenth of the time.

your fine with 2 months in an ale pail....i had some i aged longer which i transfered to glass to prevent oxidation. Keep the lid on and dont check it all the time. The co2 produced will push out the oxygen and any oxygen invading through the plastic will be negligable. If you move to wine though you will probably want glass

Back