pithy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pithy

Reaction score
About making home brew apple cider something like Bulmers make on tap here in WA- I loved the taste of their cider on tap- but needed draw to prevent carbonation-ie- if I only one drinking( & was only 2 of us)- after satiation one left- next visit with no usage between- the 1st few attempts to pour would result in spitting- the bar maid would apologise- seems to me now that if they had shut off CO2 with no draw would have prevented. Anyway- I made cider for years at home- never the same- BUT better than Bulmers bottled ciders!. However to get same as kegged cider- will only happen if use same tricks as Bulmers!. No 1- they have a plant at Capel where local apples from surrounding areas eg Donnybrook(Preston Valley) are processed using a steam boiler setup(I went there for a job interview- boiler attendant)- they use all apples together. No 2- the mash is transferred to Canning vale in Perth where fermentation etc is carried out. No 3- the final taste to cider is conferred using what the managing director referred to as "bitter sweet French concentrate"- He told me this to my face at a job interview as a fitter in Canning vale. Now- to transpose to present- the only way to get an apple taste to fermented cider is to add a taste from a bottle!(not much needed). Look for Natural Flavourings or similiar- use to taste!- Cheers guys- pithy. (Also for sweetness -use xyltitol or sorbitol.)

Back