Nice, Hoppy Red Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I just sampled this after two weeks in the bottle tonight and it turned out great! In fact, I can't wait to put the rest in the fridge! It is very nice and quite hoppy. This was my last extract brew.

Kilkenny Red is an Irish Red Ale not found in America, as far as I know. The name of this brew is a play on that ale’s name, with a tip 'o the cap to South Park.

I was aiming to replicate something similar to Goose Island Kilgubbin Red Ale, Murphy’s Irish Red or Boulevard Irish Red Ale from Kansas City‘s Boulevard Brewing, one of my all-time favorite American breweries. Boulevard‘s is a bit hoppier than the traditional Irish Red. I was aiming for their version. I think mine is even hoppier! But, damn, it's good!

I was tired of the low hop flavor and aroma of my extract brews. It seemed, no matter how much I tried, it was never enough. So, with this recipe, I doubled the hop amounts. You may want cut the hops in half, especially if you are doing AG.

Now, I just have to convert this recipe to an AG format!:

Kill Kenny, You Bastards! Irish Red Ale
Recipe Ó 2005 by Mark Pannell

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.015
ABV = 6.2%

Extracts:

3.3 lbs. Briess amber extract
3 lbs. plain light DME

Grains:

1 lb. U.S. crystal malt, 2-row (30-L)
1/2 lb. Belgian CaraPils malt, 2-row (5.9-L)
1oz. Simpson Chocolate malt, (425-L)
2oz. flaked wheat

Bittering hops:

2.0 oz. Nugget [12.6% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:

1 oz. Willamette [4.5% AAU] (30 mins.)
1 oz. Kent Goldings [4.7% AAU] (30 mins.)

Finishing hops:

1 oz. Willamette [4.5% AAU] (5 mins.)
1 oz. Kent Goldings [4.7% AAU] (5 mins.)

Dry hop:

1 oz. Kent Goldings [4.7% AAU]

Fining agent:

1 tsp. Irish moss (20 mins.)

Misc. Flavorings:

1 lb. Orange blossom honey (15 mins.)

Yeast: White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast

Primary: 5 days at 72o F

Secondary: 14 days at 72o F

Total boil: 60 minutes

Crack the grains, place in muslin grain bag and hold in ~3.5 gal. water @ 155o F for 30 minutes. Remove grains, and increase heat to a boil. Add extract and honey to schedule above. Cool wort to 70o - 80o F, top off to 5 gallons and pitch yeast. Prime with 1-1/4 cups plain DME.

There is an extraordinary amount of hops going into this recipe. Presumably this is for a 10 gal batch? Im actually looking for a good red-ale recipe myself but I dont want to end up going overkill.

Turricaine said:
There is an extraordinary amount of hops going into this recipe. Presumably this is for a 10 gal batch? Im actually looking for a good red-ale recipe myself but I dont want to end up going overkill.

7oz!!! Yikes.

No, 5 gallons! Like I said, I was tired of the low hop flavor and aroma of my extract brews. YMMV!

Back