Belgian Strong Ale Max Fermentation Temperature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awshucks5

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Strong Ale with two different yeasts. One is WLP575 and the other is Wyeast 1214. It's been fermenting at 72 degrees for about three days. I have read that if you increase the temperature you can dry out your beer, which I would like to do. What is the max temperature that I can go to with these two yeasts? I want to experiment with increasing the temperature but I don't want to get it too hot and have a weird tasting beer. Thanks fellow brewers!!

You can ramp up the temperature to 75 degrees over several days. If you didn't use any sugar prefermentation then wait until fermentation starts to slow and then add sugar to the fermenter. That will help you dry it out.

Sounds good. I have read that some Belgian ales can go as high as the mid-80's. I am having trouble finding where raising the temperature that high will be good or detrimental to my strong ale.

awshucks5 said:
Sounds good. I have read that some Belgian ales can go as high as the mid-80's. I am having trouble finding where raising the temperature that high will be good or detrimental to my strong ale.

If you check the white labs and wyeast websites, the max temp is 75 for the white labs and 78 for the wyeast. I would not ferment at temps above what is recommended by the manufacturer.

I am brewing a Belgian Strong Ale with two different yeasts. One is WLP575 and the other is Wyeast 1214. It's been fermenting at 72 degrees for about three days. I have read that if you increase the temperature you can dry out your beer, which I would like to do. What is the max temperature that I can go to with these two yeasts? I want to experiment with increasing the temperature but I don't want to get it too hot and have a weird tasting beer. Thanks fellow brewers!!

I would leave it there. You could ferment at 110F if you wanted. But you'll be happier right about 64-74F in most cases.

I am on my first big belgian adventure, got it down to 1.008 from 1096 in a week. I added d90 candi syrup after 3 days and it had 3 lbs of dextrose, turbinado and candi sugar in the boil. I used wyeast 1762, held it at 63 for 4 days then let it go to 68 after.

Latest posts

Back