Pickled Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
I used a pickle jar to store my washed yeast. I opened it up and it all smells like pickles. Did I ruin it?

Yeah, probably....Pickle jars and pickle buckets are some of the worst things to use in the brewery...it is nearly impossible to get the flavor/smell out of stuff that pickle brine touches...

Thanks,

I think I'll wash it up and put some in a starter. If it still smells pickley I'll toss it.

This was an entire cake of cal ale from a 5 gallon batch.

They were slightly pickley after decanting the top beer wash. I washed with boiled and cooled water then made an about 2/3 gallon starter. Smelled fine after washing. Picture is in my gallery.

They're doing fine.

Yay!

:D

Good...

Heck, at the worst maybe you will invent a whole new style of beer. :D

I forgot to suggest trying to soak the jar with a solution of water and a lot of baking soda...it tends to be great at absorbing odors...another thing migh be to replace the jar lid, the smell might be actually in the lid gasket and not the jar itself.

Back