Best yeast for Irish Red Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy an Irish Red Ale kit from Midwest. It comes with Muntons dry yeast. Some other threads have suggested a different yeast - like Nottingham.

What dry yeast would you recommend?
What liquid yeast would you recommend?

and Irish Red should have a fairly clean fermenting yeast, which is why Nottingham is indeed a good choice. I think I used that on my last Irish Red and it turned out very well.

I myself wouldn't worry about a liquid strain as an irish red style isn't really 'dictated' by the yeast used. By comparison, you can't really make a wit or a kolsch unless you use a wit yeast or a kolsch yeast. Those styles are somewhat dictated by the yeast used (or they'll taste off to a judge).

I use Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale for my Irish Reds. Its not very flocculant so cold crashing helps and don't let the ferm temps get too high otherwise it gets pretty fruity. If I were to go with dry yeast I'd probably be S04 or Nottingham.

WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast is good if you want that traditional diacetyl (butter) taste. Not altogether pleasant to most people, but I enjoy it in an Irish Red and a few of my stouts. Otherwise, I'd go with nottingham. Cheap, easy and poyfect.

I just brewed one with WLP007 out of necessity so we shall see how that turns out. 007 is such a rock solid yeast that I can't imagine it will be anything but tasty.

great - thanks for the advice. I'll probably go the Nottingham route this time.

Back