Yeast Energizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike2

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Im Brewing my first Imperial IPA with a 8.4% ABV. The recipe I'm using says to use a Yeast Energizer. Is this really needed for a Imperial? I'd rather not use chemicals for my beer. Should I add more yeast to ferment all that sugar?

Original Gravity- 1.074
Final- 1.010

Thanks.

Yeast energizer and nutrient is almost never needed for beer. Those are things used in mead making and cider.

Ok thanks.

Now since I'll be using more sugar, Do you think I'll need more yeast to get my final gravity down that low?

Agreed that it's not a necessity. I've never used it and I've brewed up to 13% beers.

"More yeast" is a relative term. As in one package or vial? Probably, yes. Most beers will benefit from more yeast, to a point. Many of us use starters for that purpose, as it allows us to jump start the yeast and also create more of them...which will result in a better, faster and more complete fermentation. I have gotten in the habit of always using a starter, a 1L for 5 gallons and around 1.5-2L for ten gallons. For really big beers, in the 10%+ range, sometimes I'll do a stepped starter (essentially doubling the yeast)...but my testing has showed that process to not provide as much benefit as a basic starter.

You can also use multiple packs of yeast, but if you're using the premium stuff, that can get expensive at 6-7 bucks per pack. That's why many of us do starters as well.

Good to know. I'll look into making a starter.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Back