Too much headspace in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savannahvan

Reaction score
I'm aware that you want as little headspace in your secondary as possible. As, any oxygen will just aerate the beer. There was about 3 inches of trub at the bottom,
I sampled it (pumpkin ale) after transferring it to secondary - and it tasted strongly of alcohol.
Hydrometer reading was consistent at 1.020 for a few days.
Should I possibly add water? Bad idea?

image-3465155611.jpg

Adding water has the potential to do far more harm that letting your beer sit as it is. Aside from that, you likely had CO2 outgas from your beer while you racked it and it probably filled most of the headspace anyway.

You can have 3 gallons of headspace and be just fine; you're underestimating how much CO2 yeast throw off (a LOT)

You can have 3 gallons of headspace and be just fine; you're underestimating how much CO2 yeast throw off (a LOT)

That's a relief if true!

I inherited a 6.5 gallon wine carboy and brew 5 gallon batches. I'm mostly brewing kits so far, so I'd hate to have to adjust every recipe to odd measurements if the extra headspace isn't an issue.

Most ale pails that i have found are 6.5 gallons and are for 5 gallon batches, why why you gave to change anything to use a 6.5 gallon carboy

Latest posts

Back