Counterflow chiller advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
I have built a counterflow chiller and need some advice.

I would like to know if I can put a lacquer coat on the copper that is at the ends that is used to for the connections.

the other thing I would like advice on is should I get a march pump to use with it as I do not have a set up that will allow for me to place my keggle up high.
Or would I still be able to gravity feed through the chiller with out much effort?

thanks

Cannot speak to the lacquer coat --- it you can - why would you WANT to??

The pump question, however, i can talk to. I have recently switched to a cfc, and i like the gravity feed frankly - provides a good flow rate ... i am dropping wort into the fermentor at a cool 56 deg.

Could you explain WHY you would want to laquer coat the copper?

The wort goes into the inside of the copper. There is no need to cover the outside of the copper.

Use Oxyclean/PBW to clean and Starsan/Saniclean for sanitizing.

I use a pump on with my CFC. I am able to drop the temps to 68 F on the fly and only use 9 gallons of cooling water for 6 gallons of wort. I could drop the temp lower, but I would have to increase the water flow. As I brew mostly ales, I see no need to do so.

"IF" I had a full copper CFC, I would want the outer tube clear coated, after I cleaned it up. This way I could keep it looking nice amongst the rest of the parts/brewery.

Back