First Brew - Helping to pick recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Hey ya'll. First brew day is this Saturday. I have 3 Carboys but only have the time to brew two beers. Might do a 3rd next Saturday. I am going to keg two of these and bottle the 3rd.

These are the three recipes I wanted to use.

Saison
Wheat
DIPA

The GF loves wheat beers, we both love Saisons and I'm a huge hophead. Excited to brew all three.

Bump? Thanks. I submitted this thread but it had to be approved so it got posted way down the list. Would love input on these first 3 brews. Still no clue what I'm doing and want to avoid just buying those expensive kits even though I'm a total n00b.

Do you have any way of controlling fermentation temperature? If so, take your pick. If not, I'd wait on the wheat - temps are more critical for that one. Then again, the recipe is the most simple, so might be nice to start on to learn your process.

For the saison, you want it hot, but doesn't need to be too precise.
For the DIPA, you want it cool, low 60's. A basement or swamp cooler is great. Plus, the hops can cover some flaws ;)

The best advice I get give is to just start brewing. Don't get hung up on picking a recipe because there will be a next time.

Well being pretty new myself (only 5 batches in) I have to say I am glad that I went with kits the first few times to learn the whole process hands on. As far as what you want to do well that could be anything your imagination could come up with. Just chiming in here and probably no help! Good luck and enjoy the process!

Do you have any way of controlling fermentation temperature? If so, take your pick. If not, I'd wait on the wheat - temps are more critical for that one. Then again, the recipe is the most simple, so might be nice to start on to learn your process.

For the saison, you want it hot, but doesn't need to be too precise.
For the DIPA, you want it cool, low 60's. A basement or swamp cooler is great. Plus, the hops can cover some flaws ;)

The best advice I get give is to just start brewing. Don't get hung up on picking a recipe because there will be a next time.

I have a kettle thermometer and I'm cooking on one of those propane burner stands. I can do it inside on the oven (ceramic top) but would rather be outside with this great weather.

back room of the house stays constant 68-70. My cellar stays a constant 60.5-61 F

I'd love to have an electronic temp gauge but starting cheap. Is that kind of gauge + propane good enough to control temp?

Awesome. Definitely brew outside. I was only referring to fermentation temp control, i.e., once you have chillled and added the yeast. That part is critical. Your propane burner & kettle thermometer are more than sufficient control for steeping grains.

Your cellar is perfect for most American ale yeasts...so for your DIPA. I'm jealous, in fact. Wish I had a stable 60 cellar! The yeast will generate heat, so your actual fermentation temp will be 63-66ish...perfect.

Your closet might be good for the saison, but you may need additional heat. I've never brewed one so I can't comment.

Actually, your cellar might be good for the wheat. You'd probably be able to keep it in the low 60's, which is ideal.

All that to say, take your pick!

Start with the wheat to make the wife happy and ferment it in your cellar.

It's just a closet but with shelves and I have a wine AC unit. I can put the temp from 55-75 and set it and forget it. So I can set the temp based on the beer. Can't go over 70 cause I have some old lambics in there I don't want to ruin.

7055468439_3853d2d359_b.jpg

That's part of the closet. AC unit is on the floor with exhaust that goes outside.

Probably going to go with what my lady likes first. Gotta keep her approving of this hobby. :)

PS - Great blog. And fantastic photography, well done. Document your homebrewing!

Thanks guys! I may not do photos until the 2nd batch. I'm a bit nervous but I'm just gonna relax and have a beer :)

brew day tomorrow. SO stoked.

nervous is a good thing. just make sure you've got everything laid out and labeled before you start. run through your brew plan a few times before you go. keep the computer and forums up just in case ;)

take your time and try not to worry. it's a lot harder to screw beer up than it is to make it.

Yeah enjoyed going through your beer blog as well and can't wait to hear about how things turned out with your first go at things!

Back