Ageing//storing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nissed as a pewt

Reaction score
I read a lot about aging wine in demjohns, what is the best way to seal them? Can u buy big corks (I assume rubber ones for air tightness) or do u just keep them fitted with an air lock?

Also when a recipie says top-up am I right to assume with water?

Sorry for such a basic couple of questions :confused: many thanx in advance :rockin:

nissed as a pewt said:
I read a lot about aging wine in demjohns, what is the best way to seal them? Can u buy big corks (I assume rubber ones for air tightness) or do u just keep them fitted with an air lock?
The airlock would need monitoring to make sure it stays full of liquid. I would opt for a solid rubber bung.

nissed as a pewt said:
I'd say you should taste it and see what you think of it and consider how much liquid needs to be added to top it off. If the body of the wine is already what you want, adding liter of water will dilute it. I have only made wine once, but when I had to top off I used a store-bought wine of the same type and a tiny bit of water.

nissed as a pewt said:

Aging wine in demijohn's is perfect - you'll need to make make sure the fermentation is finished fully (i.e. fermented out, de-gassed, and then clearing really well with no airlock movement) before you put a full rubber bung on.
When a recipe says 'top up' they do usually mean water. Personally I just make sure i compensate for any losses by starting with more 'must' and allow for it during racking/bottling- I don't add anything else.

Back