What'll it be? I'll have what your having..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, I'm on a mission to try a large variety of beers to expand my beer tastes and knowledge. I'm making a detailed journal of all the beers that I've tried and will try. I will share my findings on this board when I'm done. I was researching online when I realized this would be the best place to find out which great beers I should try first. :D

So please, tell me your favorite beers!! :mug:

My all time favorite beer is Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing. It is a brown ale that is malty and has a slight hop bitterness that balances it out.

almost any thing from arcadia ales in battle creek,mi:mug:
bell's brewing 'oberon'
dark horse brewing's 'crooked tree ipa'
founder's brewing 'breakfast stout'

all of these are in sw michigan

happy drinking:tank:

Thus far my two "favourite" beers are Wychwood's Hobgoblin and Rogue's Mocha Porter, thought there's a few ESBs I like (Red Hook comes to mind)

I almost have one for every letter of the alphabet (and sometimes more than one):

Alaskan Smoked Porter
Anchor Porter
Bell's Two Hearted
Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue)
Dogfish Head 60 and 90 Minute IPAs
Elysian ESB
Framboise (Lindeman's)
Gordon IPA
Hoegaarden
Iron City Light (seriously, I like this one!)
JW Dundee's Honey Brown (a bit of a filler for J, this one's the low point of the list)
K (cider)
La Fin du Monde
Magic Hat #9
New Belgium La Folie
Old Leghumper
Paulaner Hefeweizen
Rogue Dead Guy
Stone IPA
Stone Ruination
Theakston Old Peculier
Unibroue La Fin du Monde
Wychwood Hobgoblin
Young's Double Chocolate Stout

If I could only have one beer for the rest of my life it would be an American lager like plain old Budweiser. Goes fine with any food, great in hot weather, I can drink scotch in the winter time.

If I get two, add Guiness please.

It is picking the third one that gets to be a bother. I'll have a list like Yuri and have to choose.

My favorite (and you should be able to get it in your neck of the woods) is Magic Hat #9.

Sir Humpsalot's Top Nine.............

Celebrator (a historic doppelbock)

Spaten Optimator (a fantastic doppelbock at a bargain price)

Bourbon County Stout (nothing is comparable)

Trois Pistoles (a unique dark and awesome Belgian)

Spaten Oktoberfest (quite authentic tasting, I dare say the best of all the oktoberfests)

Franziskaner Hefeweizen

Lindemans Framboise (a special fruit beer)

Bell's Oberon

Fuller's ESB

I like the DFH 60 and 90, and Rogue Dead Guy. Also, Stone IPA especially Ruination.

For my "every day" drinking, I like a simple Sierra Nevada Pale Ale if I'm out of homebrew. The best brown ale I've ever had is New Glarus Fat Squirrel. I don't know if you can get New Glarus outside of Wisconsin, though. (Probably not). Another Wisconsin beer that I just love is Lakefront Brewery's Organic ESB. Excellent ESB!

I'd recommend picking up a 6 of an IPA, an ESB, a stout and a Wit to see which style you like best then expand from there.

These are some of my all-time favs, more or less from darkest to lightest:

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
Clipper City Peg Leg Imperial Stout
Mackeson's Triple Stout
Smuttynose Robust Porter
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Fuller's 1845
Red Hook ESB
Left Hand Sawtooth Ale
Drake's IPA
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Pyramid Hefeweizen

RichBrewer said:
My all time favorite beer is Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing. It is a brown ale that is malty and has a slight hop bitterness that balances it out.
Great choice, RichBrewer. I love the Moose Drool. SWMBO introduced me to it (she's from Missoula), and I enjoyed it mightily at a couple of Osprey games we saw on our trip there last summer. We can't get it out here in MI, so I brewed her my best approximation of a clone for my last batch, which she loved.

I'd throw Ommegang into the mix as one of my favorites, and you can get it easily where you are, Benny. Hell, you could drive down to the brewery in Cooperstown and get some of their cave-aged Hennepin, if you were of a mind. Man, that's a good beer, too.

I'm new here, but I can't pass up a chance to list my favorite beers:
Aktein Hell
Lindemans Kriek
Hoegaarden
Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
Duchess de Bourgogne
Delirium Tremens
Chimay Bleue
Tripel Karmeliet
Stone Ruination
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

I guess I have a thing for Belgian brews...:)

For everyday drinking I would alternate between Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewery and a good IPA like Stone IPA or Commodore Perry.
My all time favorites are hard to chose from. Hopping Frog in Akron has a great RIS called BORIS that is incredibly thick. Avery Brewing's Fourteen is a complex beer I have a hard time describing. And many more that I have really enjoyed. I continue to look for new beers every time I stop by the HBS or market.
Craig

It's fun to think about one's favorite beers...

Here's an abbreviated list. Like everyone, I have a list of local favorites, but I'll keep it to stuff you can probably find locally.

In no particular order:

SNPA
Anchor Steam's Porter and Holiday Ale
Old Rasputin RIS
Chimay (any variety)
Moylan's Kilt Lifter
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Lagunitas IPA
Trumer Pils
Stella Artois

Lately, I've been enjoying the rash of 'wet hop' ales on the market; Sierra Nevada's Harvest is the best, but bottles from Butte Creek (Chico) and Deschutes (Oregon) have been great, as well.

Someone else mentioned Green Flash out of San Diego...I liked their West Coast IPA, but they make an imperial IPA that does amazing things with late-addition Nugget hops. Tons of hops aroma and flavor, and only moderately bitter, especially considering it's 9% ABV.

I'm still working on finding all the BJCP styles that I like.

I can tell you one thing: Every Sierra Nevada beer I had was terrible. But, I'm really not a hop head...so extra IBU's on a beer never go over well with me.

Back