Poor mans whirlpool (IC whirlpool question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
I'd like to setup a whirlpool to assist cooling for my immersion chiller. I do not want a plate or a CFC, so those options are out for me. I however, do not want to spend a 150 on a pump, and right now my "brew sculpture" includes a stand alone burner to heat my sparge water, dumping into my cooler mash tun, which sits on a chair, so I can drain it into my free keggle and then lift it onto before mentioned burner for the HLT to do my boil.

TL;DR, I don't have a lot of money, therefore I'm looking for viable shortcuts.

So, I was thinking about taking some of my old RC car motors, as well as their gears, to hook up a stirring rod connected to my keggles lid to stir the wort while the immersion chiller works.

My main concern is I haven't found a stainless steel stirrer. I can only find a chrome plated mud mixer from home depot. It's perfect diameter, and will work find to spin the wort, I'm just worried about the affects of heated chrome and the boil. I can't imagine it will boil off the stir rod, but will it have any other effects?

Thanks,
Michael.

I blame all the bad grammar/spelling on the IPA's I've been drinking today.

Never mind I found a 10 dollar mixer online that was stainless... rather be safe than sorry.

I'm out and about right now, but if you Google jiffy mixer, they have a bunch at decent prices. Amazon sells a few of them

Back