taking a dump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
Wait I mean making a dump. Lol

Thinking about dumping my first AG batch. It's a stout at 6 abv. It has a strange smell that I can't really describe but it's enough that I can't stomach drinking it. I've never had an infected batch or even seen one (considering I know nobody personally that brews).

I'm just guessing but I'll bet I messed up mashing some how. I did it brew in a bag style.

I fermented it the same as every other batch. In my swamp cooler that stays between 60 and 65. My OG was around 1068 and finished around 1018. Which was expected. It stayed in primary 2 weeks and secondary 2 weeks and bottle conditioned 3 weeks. This is my SOP.

I just thought of this. But my grain bag had little hole in it and some grains stayed in until I moved to secondary. Could this have been a problem while I did my boil? Just guessing it was maybe half pound of grains.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll gladly provide more info if needed

You could have released some tannins from boiling the grain. I would never dump a beer though I would just put it some where and come back to it in 6 months or so and try it again

Wait I mean making a dump. Lol

Thinking about dumping my first AG batch. It's a stout at 6 abv. It has a strange smell that I can't really describe but it's enough that I can't stomach drinking it. I've never had an infected batch or even seen one (considering I know nobody personally that brews).

I'm just guessing but I'll bet I messed up mashing some how. I did it brew in a bag style.

I fermented it the same as every other batch. In my swamp cooler that stays between 60 and 65. My OG was around 1068 and finished around 1018. Which was expected. It stayed in primary 2 weeks and secondary 2 weeks and bottle conditioned 3 weeks. This is my SOP.

I just thought of this. But my grain bag had little hole in it and some grains stayed in until I moved to secondary. Could this have been a problem while I did my boil? Just guessing it was maybe half pound of grains.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll gladly provide more info if needed

If this is the total time before sampling a bottle, I'd say it just isn't enough. High gravity and dark grains need much more time than a light color session beer. Give this 2 to 3 more months before you decide to dump. You may be pleasantly surprised.:rockin:

Looking at the descriptions of the 2 tastes. I would say it's more like tannins than astringent. The taste is bearable. It's the smell I can't get past (as a hunter and former soldier I've smelled some bad stuff). And it's the hardest to describe.

I guess I could let it set up it that's a general consensus on getting past it

Looking at the descriptions of the 2 tastes. I would say it's more like tannins than astringent. The taste is bearable. It's the smell I can't get past (as a hunter and former soldier I've smelled some bad stuff). And it's the hardest to describe.

I guess I could let it set up it that's a general consensus on getting past it

The nice thing is aromas/odors are more likely to dissipate or age out than tastes and flavors. Definitely consider RM-MN's advice and let it sit for a while.

I personally have had more than a few stouts and porters that have smelled horrible during fermentation and early in the conditioning process. This is just one of the aspects of these styles. In general they take longer to reach maturity. There are certain elements such as mash ph/chem, temp, and grain bill that impact this process. I've had Imp stouts very drinkable and aromatically pleasant (though not ideal) within 8 weeks with a particular water chemistry, temp, and grain bill. While with another distinct water chemistry, temp, and bill it has taken much longer--really not having that premature stage of drinkability. Both approaches rendered very nice results. I could just sneak a taste of one sooner than the other.

In the end, this might not be your issue at all. Point being, as others have said, just sit on it for a few months at cellar temp and see what happens.

If it's done and bottled, let it ride. No harm in waiting at this point.

Some flavors will mellow, and some will get worse. Give it a few weeks and try it again. If it's worse, might as well dump.

Latest posts

Back