tailgate smoke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
i have a football doubleheader this weekend, UCF v. FIU today, and the Dolphins game tomorrow, so I had to smoke a pork butt for at least one of them. This beauty just came out of the smoker after 15hrs. No foil, just low and slow all the way. Bone came out and the damn thing almost fell apart while i was trying to get it out of the smoker.

288869_1988439225890_1090596015_31657944_1303885328_o.jpg

I have never smoked anything but my cousin is a fanatic about it. For my wedding in march he is coming up from San Antonio and we are smoking a whole pig the week before m wedding, there will be a lot of home brew on tap and we plan on getting smashed all night smoking the pig and eating a whole pig for breakfast!

It looks good though, I am jealous.

a pig roast is awesome, i helped a friend with one once for a graduation party and it was a big hit. combine that with homebrew and you got a helluva party

i brought my rig to the Temple vs Penn St game (awesome game, too bad Temple lost). Did up 3 racks of baby backs, ton of chicken legs, 12 burgers and some sausage. Great time!!

i brought my rig to the Temple vs Penn St game (awesome game, too bad Temple lost). Did up 3 racks of baby backs, ton of chicken legs, 12 burgers and some sausage. Great time!!

Yea I wanted temple to win too, sounds great I really like your rig great job
:mug:

BTW DodginBUIs, that sure does look like a beaut! I will most likely be doing up around 12 of those later on this week!

i have a football doubleheader this weekend, UCF v. FIU today, and the Dolphins game tomorrow, so I had to smoke a pork butt for at least one of them. This beauty just came out of the smoker after 15hrs. No foil, just low and slow all the way. Bone came out and the damn thing almost fell apart while i was trying to get it out of the smoker.

Fifteen hours is a little long. That's why it almost fell apart. It is probably a touch overdone. If that is the way you like it, more power to you. When I compete, the only reason I use foil is to speed up the cooking process. You can cook anything BBQ without foil. Some call foil "The Texas Crutch". In competition there are some advantages in using foil.

Fifteen hours is a little long. That's why it almost fell apart. It is probably a touch overdone. If that is the way you like it, more power to you. When I compete, the only reason I use foil is to speed up the cooking process. You can cook anything BBQ without foil. Some call foil "The Texas Crutch". In competition there are some advantages in using foil.

I didnt go for a set time, i went for an internal temperature and because I was pulling it, I went for 195degrees internal. It just happened to work out to 15hrs and that sounded right to me because I read 1.5hrs/pound and it was 10lbs. This is the first time I ever cooked a butt and I was quite pleased. I read that foil was good to speed up the cook time, but I wasnt in a hurry so I opted to skip it this time. I'll definitely try the foil when time is more important.

Back