Time to bottle and refill the carboy! ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello,

I made a 6 gal. batch of Ed's Apfelwein in the beginning of Sept, which is still in the carboy. Temps have been pretty consistent between 65 and 68. Anyway, I am gonna bottle it this weekend (3 gal still / 3 gal sparkling).

Do I need to worry about the yeast being active enough to carbonate at this point? (2 1/2 months in the fermenter)??? I am gonna go with 1 oz. priming sugar per gallon.

Also, when bottling the still portion of the Apfelwein, I assume I simply bottle and cap? Obviously no priming sugar necessary.

I am definitely gonna take the advise of everyone I have chatted with here and dump another batch on the yeast cake! Keep the ol' applewein pipeline full!!! :ban:

You will have plenty of yeast to carbonate with.

1oz sugar per gallon is fine, and yes just bottle and cap (or bottle and cork in wine bottles) the still apfelwein.

I'm in the same boat. My current plan is to use 4.5 gallons of apple juice, 3-5 lbs of honey, ferment it with nottingham (add yeast nutrient), keep an eye on the gravity and cold crash it when it hits 1.010 (keeping it sweeter) and add potassium metisulfate (half dosage, 1/8 tsp), let it age/clear for a month or two and then keg and carb.

Back