1 more week!!!! for my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Ok 1st time here brewing anything and i have a few simple questions.

1. i tasted it, tastes damn good but smells funny. is this normal?

2. due to me tasting it will i hurt anything?

3. will the flavor change the more i let it sit in there

4. there is some sediment on the bottom is this ok? do i need to mix it?

for my 1st brew i think it taste pretty damn good, i swear i can taste the alcohol...i havent tested it yet all i did was buy the carboy and the ingredients...i will buy the bottles and other equipment this weekend.

its very bitter but i enjoyed it i did a 1/2 white 1/2 brown sugar mix.

1 more questions.

i stared at the damn thing for about 1 min and it didnt bubble..should i be concerned?

What is the recipe? How long has it been? Do you have a hydrometer?

Usually speaking if you are relatively good at sanitation, it seems to be pretty forgiving. Any off odor will most likely go away with time and aging.

Again, with tasting, as long as you are sanitary, you should be fine. How did you collect your sample? How much did you take? What size batch is this?

Yes the flavor will change the more you let it sit. As it ages, any alcohol hotness will mellow out, and all the flavors should blend together smoothly.

The sediment (I am assuming you have not racked into another carboy or bucket yet) is just the yeast and their by-products. DO NOT STIR Before you bottle it would be best to rack (siphon) off of this sediment so as to not mix it into your bottles. But more importantly, you should to wait until the cider is perfectly clear. Most people say you should be able to read a newspaper through it.

And if it isn't bubbling, that just means that at least the bulk of the fermentation is complete.

Tusch said:
What is the recipe? How long has it been? Do you have a hydrometer?

Usually speaking if you are relatively good at sanitation, it seems to be pretty forgiving. Any off odor will most likely go away with time and aging.

Again, with tasting, as long as you are sanitary, you should be fine. How did you collect your sample? How much did you take? What size batch is this?

Yes the flavor will change the more you let it sit. As it ages, any alcohol hotness will mellow out, and all the flavors should blend together smoothly.

The sediment (I am assuming you have not racked into another carboy or bucket yet) is just the yeast and their by-products. DO NOT STIR Before you bottle it would be best to rack (siphon) off of this sediment so as to not mix it into your bottles. But more importantly, you should to wait until the cider is perfectly clear. Most people say you should be able to read a newspaper through it.

And if it isn't bubbling, that just means that at least the bulk of the fermentation is complete.

Ed Worts Apfelwein, its been 3 weeks and 2 days. And no not yet :)

Back