How Do I Make My Bock a Chocolate Bock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurphyTX

Reaction score
This weekend went to Homebrew Headquarters Richardson Texas and chose their "in house Texan Bock" recipe. While boiling the brew yesterday I decided to drink my first Sam Adams Chocolate Bock (Christmas sampler case at Costco :) and that is good stuff.

Today my primary is bubbling nicely. No volcano just a nice constant burp into the overflow.

This is only my second batch of beer. What is the easiest / best way for a beginner like me to turn this sort of into a Chocolate Texan Bock like Sam Adams? Of course it will not be the same.

I did google this Q and there are a confusing number of conflicting opinions.

The simplest suggestion seems to be to just add some Hersheys Squeeze Bottle Special Dark Chocolate Syrup into the primary and let it ferment. The syrup is sterile so just squeeze some in. Since it's day 1 actively fermenting then it should just consume whatever sugar is in the syrup. Yes this may up the initial SG but this is a 9% beer to begin with so more is fine.

Others talked about adding Dutched Cocoa or Nibs at the end of boil but I am past that step.

Suggestions as to what kind; how much; when to add; etc?

This is a 5 gallon batch. My understanding from the Homebrew HQ Shop is this will take 5 months to be ready. After Secondary I am planning on corny kegging and letting it age.

Thanks!

The guys at Homebrew HQ are awesome, I live about 5 minutes from their shop. Don't be afraid to give them a call, tell them what you bough and what you want, and get their advice.

Are you lagering this?

If not I'd do a 2 week primary, then rack it to secondary on top of 8 oz of cocoa powder, it will give you the chocolate flavor you want. I've never used the chocolate syrup, but I know the cocoa powder works.

Funny you posted this.. We just got the same sampler at my house and my wife had the chocolate bock and said I had to brew one for valentines day. So, I'm subscribing to see the recipes.
Thanks!

Subscribed!, I'd like to see recipes too,

Bock chocolate or Bockolate, sounds like a brew to try in the future.

The guys at Homebrew HQ are awesome, I live about 5 minutes from their shop. Don't be afraid to give them a call, tell them what you bough and what you want, and get their advice.

Are you lagering this?

If not I'd do a 2 week primary, then rack it to secondary on top of 8 oz of cocoa powder, it will give you the chocolate flavor you want. I've never used the chocolate syrup, but I know the cocoa powder works.

Thanks for the reply.

Lagering? Don't know the answer as I am new to beer brewing (I am a winemaker learning how to make suds). The HBHQ guy asked if I wanted to keg it for a few months at 40 - 50 degrees and I said I would prefer not to on this batch. I am using 2 packets of the Safale US-05 dry ale yeast.

Again, this is a higher SG brew w starting SG at 1.115 and ending at 1.022. Used 5 lbs Amber; 6 lbs dark and 2 lbs sugar.

Ok if you are using Safale US-05 def not lagering. How many packets of that yeast are you throwing in there? With a SG that high I hope they got you using more than one.

After you let it sit in primary for probably 3-4 weeks on this, take SG readings and once it is steady for 2-3 days you are good, move it to a secondary fermentation and have the cocoa waiting there, that is what I would do. If you like the beer brewing you should come out to a North Texas Homebrewers Association meeting or brewday.

Ok if you are using Safale US-05 def not lagering. How many packets of that yeast are you throwing in there? With a SG that high I hope they got you using more than one.

After you let it sit in primary for probably 3-4 weeks on this, take SG readings and once it is steady for 2-3 days you are good, move it to a secondary fermentation and have the cocoa waiting there, that is what I would do. If you like the beer brewing you should come out to a North Texas Homebrewers Association meeting or brewday.

Brewday? That sounds like an opportunity to learn.

Thanks. Good plan for the cocoa addition at secondary.

Yes - they sold me 2 packets of yeast. I found an online SG / Alcohol calculator and if final SG is per recipe this should be over 10%.

Wondering of I can use the yeast again for another batch when I transfer this to secondary?

Back