Non sealed fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyG

Reaction score
Hey guys,

usually I do my primary fermentation in a bucket with the lid on but not sealed since I have had the chance to make a hole and attach airlock/blowoff ( yes I know I'm lazy :) ) Usually I leave it in for only max a week to two, to let the vigorous fermentation die down then transfer to an airlocked carboy.

I know that during the main fermentation, the C02 produced essentially protects it (granted not 100%) so its relatively safe, and after that the alcohol usually is enough to prevent infection.

Here's the thing, school lately has kicked my ass left right and center, and I left a brown ale in a primary for like 5 weeks now.

Still tasks fine, no sign of infection, I'm just curious,
How risky is this really? Have I gotten lucky or will the average batch (if properly cleaned ) turn out okay in an "exposed" fermentor?

The key is in the taste! If it tastes fine then you are good to go. As stated by a well known HBT member, "nothing pathogenic to humans can live in beer"!

I have left beers for 3-4 weeks in primary routinely and they are always good. In fact I only use primaries unless I am dry hopping!

Many homebrewers do not use airlocks or even blowoff tubes they do exactly what you do and that is loosely cover the fermentor.

Bottle/keg it and enjoy!

Originally, brewers used to keep their fermentors open so wild yeast would ferment the wort. Too this day some micro breweries use open fermentation tanks.

That being said, if there are no off flavors or signs of infection I think you'll be alright.

Yeah heck, people have open-fermented for centuries! You might even catch something nice and funkify your beer in a good way. So long as its covered I wouldn't worry as much about contamination, and oxidation usually (not always) takes a while to show up. I say bottle/keg it, and if it starts to taste funky, you'll just have to drink faster :).

someone else pointed out on another thread how people with arthritis or weakness in their hands never seal their buckets at all. i've stopped sealing my buckets, makes it easier to skim off the krausen.

Back