Crash Cooling outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I am finishing up a Dogfish Head 60 Min IPA clone. I just put it in the keg yesterday(Saturday) and plan to drink this weekend for my bachelor party. I set it outside last night to let it crash cool. Our temps are currently 60 high and 35 low. I was going to do the same for the next few days and then force carbonate on Wednesday/Thursday...ready to drink on friday? Is there any problems with temp swings?

I was thinking this would drop out any remaining yeast and I can pour it out on first tap. It will also give me an easier time getting it to serving temp on friday as we will be camping and using ice and I have no refrigeration method. Will this be beneficial(for either dropping remaining yeast and/or lowering temp without negative effects from temperature swings)? It is covered and does not receive direct sunlight.

You know I have had this in primary for a week and secondary for a month and I just remembered I put gelatin in the secondary. It does look pretty clear, so my main idea now is to have the keg at a lower starting temp come Friday. You don't see any problems with the temp flucuation this week?

In a kegerator, 5 gallons of beer will take 24-48 hours to go from 65 to 40. Putting it outside allowing only 12 -16 hours to chill will not get it down far enough to the temp you may want. I would say that it would fluctuate between 45 and 55. Probably not a big deal, but some people say going from cold to warm and back again multiple times may impart off flavors in your beer.

No idea on the temp swings, but make sure that thing is fully protected from UV, eh? Hate to skunk all those lovely hops in that IPA...

i don't think you can correlate the time it takes to cool down in a kegerator compared to outside (where a 65 degree keg won't increase the ambient temperature like it would in a kegerator)

Back