Best beer in a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ummm.....where is Surly Furious? Surly Coffee Bender? Surly Abrasive? Those are the real top 3.

Serria Nevada comes in cans. So does Heady Topper I believe. Plus a lot of others. Hell, Blue Moon is even available in cans.

This list made me upchuck a little. Not hatin', just sayin there are way better beers in cans. I love some of these after a day of mowing, but thats about it.

Yeah 3 years ago that list might have made some sense (not that I would care); the author somehow completely missed the fact that many craft beers are now being canned...

Are they serious...this has to be a joke...canned beer f@@king sucks...except when you're mowing the lawn.

Luckily for me I live in Chicago. 3 craft breweries can their beers now-Finch's, Revolution, and Half Acre. Great for trips to the lake and camping and stuff.

I wonder what made Coors light beat out PBR? Maybe it's the color change when the can gets cold, or maybe its that hint of hydrogen peroxide flavor?

Are they serious...this has to be a joke...canned beer f@@king sucks...except when you're mowing the lawn.

Well see that's the thing - your statement is totally wrong. Nowadays there are quite a lot of outstanding craft beers being sold in cans. Several were mentioned above, and there's also all the Oskar Blues beers in Colorado and lots of others.

So canned beer (per se) is not crap; the beers they discussed in the article are crap, but those are only some of the canned beers available. The fact that they only discussed macroswill makes the notion that that was a search "for the best canned beer" a joke.

Snake River in Wyoming is canning now, for "outdoor use". It seems to be a growing trend.

PBR rocks...easily the best mainstream beer. Twice the BU's, 65% malt, original american lager.

Just went to Baxter Brewing co. in Lewiston, ME, a little over a month ago. Really small operation but they are doing great things. Their IPA is awesome
http://www.baxterbrewing.com/
I don't mean to plug for them, I really liked their brews and staff. The employees make up their own recipes and brew 5 gallons. The results are served at the brewery only and they are excellent.

Just went to Baxter Brewing co. in Lewiston, ME, a little over a month ago. Really small operation but they are doing great things. Their IPA is awesome
http://www.baxterbrewing.com/
I don't mean to plug for them, I really liked their brews and staff. The employees make up their own recipes and brew 5 gallons. The results are served at the brewery only and they are excellent.

Sounds awsome, but do they can the beer?

Oskar Blues is awesome, Dry dock just started canning Hop Abomiation and Belgian Blonde, both awesome. Lots of great crafts in cans in CO.

I have no problem with a beer I like being packaged in a can. And I don't want to come off as a hater. But judging mostly BMC in this review is sad and misleading. Similar to McRib comment, it is like doing a national review of the best hamburger in america but only comparing those made in fast food joints.
BTW, if that occurred, mine would be White Castle. If fact, I'll take 6 with cheese, onion rings and an orange soda.

I just loved some of the judges notes....Tecate for example "favorite because of its caramel color, lusciousness, and bold beer flavor". That one especially made roll around laughing.

I'm all about can beer, but I do like having pry off bottles. With the bottles, you're totally at the whim of retailers who are hit and miss about their beer storage. The grocery store by my house has a ton of amazing beers sitting directly under these high intensity halogen lights baking the **** out of them. It's all ruined. In the evening, the sun shines through their windows right on to the beers.

After a bad bottle, I just quit shopping there and told them they need to take better care of their beers. Nobody buying a $15 750 of beer is going to be fooled by poor storage conditions. This isn't a Corona that I'm drinking out of paper sack on my way to the day labor office.

I agree with them that PBR and Heinekin in cans are both solid.

21st Amendment Brew Free or Die from a can is awesome. Also, Ska brewing is all cans and quite delicious in their own right.

Also, Mexican beer should never be included in any taste tasting. Ever. Anywhere.

Now if I had to pick a BMC style beer out of the lot, I'd reach for a Genesee Cream ale. But I didn't see it in the short list so it must not be good enough.

Ten Fidy is one of my favorite beers of all time! Does anyone know if any of these breweries are canning their beer unfiltered? I know Surly started off that way but just wonder about the shelf life.

Southern Star and Oskar Brewing do some pretty good things and those are out of cans.

I think there are pros and cons to craft can beer. To me it generally seems to have great head retention/head. Ive had a ton of good craft bottles that had no head/lacing. Not that all of them do and not that it always matters,its just something I notice. Ive had a lot of flatish/metallic cans too.Ive had metallic bottles too,so its not a myth it happens time to time. Last I remember too is that older grain can give that metallic quality to beer.
And also +1 they need to dimm those damn lights in the craft beer section. They also need to learn how to store and handle craft beer better-they are not some cheap cheeze-nips.

Back