Hops - how to store & wet hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I just harvested about half of my crop of hops today. Last year I dried them and froze them but this year I want to try wet hopping (didn't really seem to get much out of last years batch). So here's my questions;

I just took all of my hops and stuffed them in a zip-lock then tossed them in the deep freeze - is this a decent way to preserve them for a month or two?

I want to try wet hopping with these guys - would I just take them out of the freezer, thaw and toss into secondary?

I have about a half pound of Chinooks - do you use fresh hops one for one to replace pellet hops in a recipe? (1oz wet for 1oz dry)?

I don't think a zip lock will do it. I really think you should vacuum seal them though. You have a lot of surface area that is exposed to oxygen and it'll damage them in time.

I suck the air out with a straw but we don't have a vacuum packer any more - too cheap to replace the old one I guess...

Back