Build a CO2 fill station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I am openning a shop and want to hav a fill station. The LHBS has a pump system that is very pricey. I've seen posts of people filling it partially by pressure, then dumping some CO2 to freeze the tank then finishing the fill. Anyone have experience on doing this. Does it work? How much CO2 will I loose? And how much of a 50 lb cylinder will I get out?

Thanks

Eric

I am openning a shop and want to hav a fill station. The LHBS has a pump system that is very pricey. I've seen posts of people filling it partially by pressure, then dumping some CO2 to freeze the tank then finishing the fill. Anyone have experience on doing this. Does it work? How much CO2 will I loose? And how much of a 50 lb cylinder will I get out?

Thanks

Eric
I know of some off-road shops that have a large donor tank and freeze the "donee" tank, connect with adapter to flow liquid from donor tank until equalized. Repeat cycle.

Haven't heard of loss complaints, but you max out at 70%-80% of what you get when filled via gas company compressor method.

Dale

I know of some off-road shops that have a large donor tank and freeze the "donee" tank, connect with adapter to flow liquid from donor tank until equalized. Repeat cycle.

Haven't heard of loss complaints, but you max out at 70%-80% of what you get when filled via gas company compressor method.

Dale

So you won't quite get 5 lbs in a 5 lb CO2 tank using the freeze method?

So you won't quite get 5 lbs in a 5 lb CO2 tank using the freeze method?

Not according to the folks that do it and are having it done. They charge less for a fill though, of course you're getting less too. You do get diminishing returns and won't be able fully use up your donor tank for filling.

They also might be myopic regarding hydro dates.

Excuse me for asking for clarification. You seem to have the right attitude for running a LHBS (condescending, know-it-all).

Good luck.

Actually, I don't know it all. That is why I am here asking questions. I didn't grasp that you were asking for clarification and was offended. I guess I shouldn't be as you can not determine tone from a thread. Anyway no big deal. Have a good one.

Thanks for all of the help. It sure helps to get something going in the store. I will be charging less than $10 for a 5 lb fill. But I am guessing it will be a 4 lb fill. Maybe charge $8.

I've asked places that fill up the paintball bottles, before. They cannot do anything over a 24oz bottle without a pump. Some places have a pump setup, but many just have large CO2 tanks that they use.

IF you're not going to get a pump setup, I would just set up to fill the paintball size tanks. IMO, you'll upset more people with partial fill attempts of 5# tanks. Even charging less won't help when they run out faster. IMO, you'll probably have people either not get tanks filled, or not come back after one fill. Also, unless you have it plastered in BIG letters that a 5# tank is only getting about 4# of CO2, you're in for unhappy people. Even then, you have to remind each and every customer before, and after, you fill it up that it's a partial fill. IMO, really not worth the pain. IF you do get the pump setup, and offer to fill tanks for what many of the fire extinguisher places charge, you'll probably get a good amount of customers. Especially if you have better hours (later at night, open weekends, etc.)

See if you can lease/rent the compressor setup from the gas supplier. It might be an option that won't break your budget.

I am not 100% positive on the following but a comprerssed gas supplier could verify the following.

In the posted video the larger CO2 tank is fitted with a dip tube or siphon.
It draws LIQUID CO2 from the bottom and fills the smmaller tank with liquid not gas.

If the smaller tank is purged and frozen, by first introducing a few ounces of CO2 than it bleeding off, the larger tank will force liquid CO2 into the smaller tank until the proper weight or the same pressure is reached.

This should fill a tank to its proper capacity without the need for a pump system which is used when filling a tank with CO2 GAS.

OMO

bosco

Back