all the wrong flavors.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkey

Reaction score
tried making my first batch of mead and just everything seems to be going wrong on it. after it finished fermenting out it was sour. had an acid reading of around .80. Added 2 tspns of calcium carbonate i believe the stuff was called and let it age another month then added some wine stabilizer let sit for a week racked still had the sour and also a hot alcahol flavor that it has carried out for some time so I figured now would be a good time to sweeten it up a bit. I added 3 lbs of boiled honey to the batch and racked. at this time after adding the honey it was sweet as can be still with the hot alchy flavor though. after sitting for a month took a sample of it and now it taste watered down, very dry, almost no sweet to it but yet still retains some honey flavor ( didn't know you could do that one).

what did I do wrong here?

How much honey did you originally use, what kind of yeast and what batch size. Sounds like you did what many do and made turpentine with to little honey and a high attenuation yeast.

That and it probably needs 6 moths of aging.

Did you take a hydrometer readings? Sounds like it was fermenting more when the added honey went in. Let us know what receipe you used.

The recipe was 15lbs of unboiled honey (mixed clove, orane, and blackberry), then boiled 2 apples, 2 clusters of grapes and added that all to the fermentor, 3tspn of acid blend, and 1 tspn of yeast nutrient. put a couple crushed campden tablets and then sat 24 hours.
the yeast I used was lavalin d47. I rehydrated two packets and emptied into the fermentor. starting gravity at this point was 1.150. After a week of primary I raked it over to the secondary let sit for about 3 weeks and found out my g/f found anew place for us to live so on moving day I racked again in hopes the stuff that fell out wouldn't get mixed back up again, let sit for a few hourse to build up some CO2 and then moved the carboy to the new home. then sat for about 2 months added the sorbistat k waited the week and racked again. this time the gravity reading was around 1.008. after racking I took the 3lbs of boiled honey and added that. then took a taster sip after sitting for one more month. didn't notice much fermentation activity when I added the additional honey. just a few random bubbles patches about 1-1 1/2 inch wide and those patches more or less just just stayed how they where.

Well, you've got 18.8% alcohol before you added MORE fermentables (after stabilizing it like you did, maybe you didn't have any more fermentation)! Meads are notoriously slow to make, and a year or two of aging will make a HUGE difference. In five years, it'll be great!

sorry let me change that gravity it was 1.1 not 1.15 my mistake.
it doesn't really have a lot of alchahol flavor to it anymore at least it just doesn't have much of any flavor other then watered down honey with no sweetness. will aging really change it that much?

Back