Raspberry Wheat Ale... Secondary time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacPau

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was a specific length of time that that my beer needs to stay in the secondary over the top of a raspberry purée. I'm guessing that the standard two weeks will do, but I wasn't sure if I should stop it early or just let the secondary fermentation play itself out.

If it helps this is a wheat that I plan to bottle condition for 30 days after this!

Thanks guys!

It needs to sit there until it's done. Check it after a few days. If you want more raspberry flavor, let it go longer. Most wheat beers I've made haven't benefited from extended aging. The younger you can drink it, the better it'll be (assuming it's "done" when you bottle it.)

Nateo said:
It needs to sit there until it's done. Check it after a few days. If you want more raspberry flavor, let it go longer. Most wheat beers I've made haven't benefited from extended aging. The younger you can drink it, the better it'll be (assuming it's "done" when you bottle it.)

So I could probably crack open the first bottle after a couple weeks I wouldn't need the full 30 days?

If you had not purees the Rapberries I would leave them for about six weeks. Given this methos I was seay leave it till it's done then bottle, no needs to age further.

I am also doing one this week.
My primary finished already and I am ready to secondary tomorrow. I did 8 gallons in the primary so I can split between 2 carboys, raspberry on one and apricot on the other.
My wife really likes lindemans raspberry lambic framboise and pyramid apricot ale so I am trying to get close to that.
Thinking of adding potassium sorbate to the secondary to keep the yeast from multiplying and eating the puree, has anyone tried this?

I am also doing one this week.

My wife really likes lindemans raspberry lambic framboise and pyramid apricot

Yeah, my wife loves the Lambic Framboise, so I tried making a raspberry creme ale... Not even close, it kind of turned out like an over carbonated sour wine. One day I'll try again.

Back