How do you increase alchohol content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGrath Brewery

Reaction score
Hi everyone on HomeBrewTalk, im new here and i was just wondering how you increase the alchohol content in beer. Also i was wondering what gimp is, everyone is talking about it and i think it has something to do with labeling, what is it?
tomas :)

You increase alcohol content by increasing the amount of fermentables in your wort. This could be by more grains (or extract), greater extraction from the grains, or an additive such as brown sugar (amongst many other fermentable items).

you increase alcohol by giving the yeast more fermentable sugar to eat.

gimp is a free graphics program (and, yeah, a lot of us use it for making labels.) It's basically a free version of photoshop.

http://www.gimp.org

-walker

I have only done it from a kit, so if i am using a kit how do i increase the alchoholic content, by adding more sugar?

Ah okay, thanks. If i add lets say an extra kilogram of suger is there anyway of telling how much the alchoholic content will increase by?

you can do that. or you can buy extra malt extract and throw it into your pot when you brew.

I gather you are a VERY new beginner. You should probably read John Palmer's online book for a beginner's giude to homebrewing.

http://www.howtobrew.com

read that and it'll clear up a lot of the basic questions.

-walker

I've never heard of "gimp" so I went to the link and could figure out how to even download it. It gave me the all this garbage to download, but it all said, "Oh, oh no, you must have version 2.0 to download that." But never told me where 2.0 was in the first place!!! Can someone guild me on this?

Ok, go to this page. Download and install GTK+2 first, then download and install Gimp for Windows from the same page.

i haven't made it yet (later this week), but I have two cans (10 oz each??) of Oregon brand blueberries that I plan to throw into the secondary after a short soak in vodka for sanitizing.

I want a STRONG blueberry flavor in this one.

-walker

Back