mucus beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tandpbrewing

Reaction score
Second all-grain i foolishly decide to also try my first pumpkin beer.

Here was my recipe
10lb 2-row pale
2lb munich malt
.5lb crystal 40L
1.25 oz hallertauer (60 min)
1oz US Goldings (30 min)
60 oz Libbys Canned pumpkin (60 min)
Irish moss (10 min)
1.5 oz allspice (10 min)
1.5 oz nutmeg (10 min)
2.5 oz cinnamon (10 min)
Safale US-56 yeasties.

60 min mash at ~152*
followed by batch sparge.
og measured at 1.078, (estimated @ 1.068)
but I don't really trust my hydro with my all grain, last time it was about .010 higher than it should have been with a 75% eff.

I think due to lack of a nice scale that i ended up with more of all the spices.
The wort going into the carboy was very very thick. Racked after a week, a ton of sediment, as expected, measured gravity @ about 1.018. Still very thick and gross (texture wise that is) it looks like a loogie.

I'm worried it isn't going to thin out much. So I was thinking I might need to consider brewing a very basic beer and mixing them after its fermented out. I was looking to see if anyone else has had an issue like this and what they did, or if it did thin out more. It tasted pretty decent but the texture makes me want to gag.

Maybe try crash cooling it to about 40 degrees fahrenheit before bottling? That usually helps gunk to settle out.

Back