Cloudy Beer Once Chilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marl

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been stalking these forums gaining knowledge and answers since I started brewing but have not found an answer to the question I now have, so decided to register!

I am a relatively new home brewer, started about 5 months ago and have successfully completed about 6 or 7 brews, all have turned out great. I bottle in screw caps and old Grolsch swing tops. All have carbonated great and tasted fantastic. Once bottled they clear in about three days, I'm talking cyrstal clear, you could hold a bit of paper behind it and be able to read it. But once they have chilled in the fridge they turn hazy, no matter how long their in there and I can't figure out why.

This happens to kit brews and partial extracts (irish moss is used in the boil).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers
Mike

Make sure you do a strong enough boil to get a good hot break, chill fast enough to get a good cold break (build an immersion chiller if you don't have one), and once bottled, leave them in the fridge for a week or more before drinking.

Yep. Chill haze. Doesn't really effect anything except visual perception if the beer. Not positive. But something to do with the proteins I. Huge beer essentially sticking together when chilled. As your cloudy beer will return clear as it warms up. If its around Long enough to warm up :)
Drink from a stein you won't notice the haze then.

Seriously though get a good hot break and chill quickly will go a long way to helping prevent chill haze. Also might want to try a clearing aid. Whirlfloc, Irish moss, etc etc.

Thanks for the replys.

I always get a good boil and hot break (sometimes to good ie. boilover!) but to cool I immerse the pot in the sink with iced cold water. Takes about 15-20 mins to cool to about 25C which I thought was generally an okay time but could this be the problem? Irish moss is used in the last 5 mins of boil.

About 1.7 gallons. Not ideal I know, but it's all I have until I decide to invest in a bigger pot. But it still produces good beer and that's what's important!

Back