I think I am Bummed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
Well...the beer is coming along well. I think I am disapointed in the ABV. I finally figured out how to take my readings and do the estimate. It looks like I am only around 4%. I was hoping for more, does this seem right?

OG=1.040
FG=1.010

How can I increase ABV in future batches?

need more info. what kind of beer? was it extract, all grain? what was the recipe. obviously you'll need a higher OG to achieve a higher ABV. that's acomplished by having more fermentables in the wort.

I got 3.9% ABV using your figures.

To boost ABV, the best way is to use more malt. Find a recipe you like, and then look at the o.g. listed (or use a software program to figure it). You can guestimate your f.g. so you'll know about what you're shooting for.

So, it looks like you used about 5 pounds of malt? What did you do with the two row? Did you steep it at a certain temperature?

The easiest thing to do next time would to be increase the malt extract, to maybe two cans. Same recipe with two cans of LME would give you an og of 1.061 with an expected ABV of 5.9%.

Thats what I came up with and then I figured another 1/10th% in the bottle (but not sure about that)

So basically I need to break away from the kits is what I am gathering, or at least buy the kit and add more to the ingredient list.

All the buzz on IPA's....what would be a good "break away from the kit" recipe?

Yooper Chick said:
So, it looks like you used about 5 pounds of malt? What did you do with the two row? Did you steep it at a certain temperature?

The easiest thing to do next time would to be increase the malt extract, to maybe two cans. Same recipe with two cans of LME would give you an og of 1.061 with an expected ABV of 5.9%.

The Two row was brought to a boil and steeped for 15 minutes

OK I got you...so more Malt=More ABV

Yes, usually.

I don't understand about the two row- only 1/2 pound really would add nothing to your beer, just an extra step. And you should mash it at 150 degrees or so for an hour. No boiling. I've never seen a recipe like that before. If you use steeping grains like crystal to give color and flavor (but no real fermentables) that's one thing, but just using 1/2 pound of two row is really unusual. Again, steeping grains are usually put in a grain bag and steeped at about 150-155 for 20 minutes or so. Steeping grains don't need to be mashed, but two row does.

A good thing to do is to mention what kind of commercial or microbrews you like, then get some help here to find a recipe in a similar vein. Then, you'll make what you like and at the ABV you want.

I have never had an IPA, so have no idea where to begin with that. I think I would like to be in the 6% range. I like full flavor, but not too bitter. I am not up to speed with knowlegg or equipment to go full grain, but would like something more complex than the basic kit...Does that make sense?

BTW as far as the recipe being unusual. You may be right. The grains were steep in a grain bag. Was put to gether as a "Brown Box" kit by my LHBS

Yooper Chick said:
I don't understand about the two row- only 1/2 pound really would add nothing to your beer, just an extra step. And you should mash it at 150 degrees or so for an hour.

I agree. Strange. And did you buy the 2-row crushed or did you take a rolling pin to them. I find 2-row very PITA to crush.

Still, 1-2 pounds of well crushed 2-Row would have helped, but that recipe looks light (very light) for an IPA.

BierMuncher said:
I agree. Strange. And did you buy the 2-row crushed or did you take a rolling pin to them. I find 2-row very PITA to crush.

Still, 1-2 pounds of well crushed 2-Row would have helped, but that recipe looks light (very light) for an IPA.

Sorry I may have confused you. The recipe I just completed is NOT an IPA. I am looking to do one though

the 2- row was all ready to use according to the kit I used and crushig was not necessary

NYeric said:
I have never had an IPA, so have no idea where to begin with that. I think I would like to be in the 6% range. I like full flavor, but not too bitter. I am not up to speed with knowlegg or equipment to go full grain, but would like something more complex than the basic kit...Does that make sense?

BTW as far as the recipe being unusual. You may be right. The grains were steep in a grain bag. Was put to gether as a "Brown Box" kit by my LHBS

Sure, you making sense!

I LOVE IPAs, but they are not for everyone. How about a Newcastle clone, or something like that? That's easy, fairly inexpensive and easy drinking. Or any other beer that you know that you like. I think I have a Newcastle clone posted here somewhere, but probably not in the recipe database. I'll look for it if you want. We can give you enough instructions that you won't have a problem following them.

Or if you still want a kit (but a BETTER kit), I recommend anything from Austinhomebrew.com or the Brewer's Best kits. Good steeping grains, good instructions, and decent prices. And, good beer! I personally have used the Fat Tire clone from AHS and the English Pale ale and Red ale from Brewer's Best.

I have heard that Midwest and Morebeer.com have nice extract/steeping grains kits, too but haven't used them.

Austin Homebrew has the best kits from my experience. Their Summit IPA is quite possibly the best IPA out there in my opinion. They have a ton of recipes. Check their site out and pick something up.

Dan

Thanks...I definatley need to upgrade. now that I have learned some of the basics, I realize that what I am buying is ok, but the result is lower than I anticipated.

You might want to buy a commercial IPA before you start brewing 5 gallons of one. You said that you don't like your beer too bitter, well IPAs are the most bitter of all. Very hoppy, citrusy, and bitter. I love them, but some people would spit it out at the first taste of one.

I'm not a seasoned pro or anything, but my recommendation is that you do a bit of research. Don't worry, it's fun research! Get two things:
1. Go to a good beer store, preferably one that has the "build your own six pack" option, compile one or two of said six packs of different types of beers. take them home and decide which ones you like enough to try to emulate.
2. If you don't have it already, get a copy of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" look for the chart for formulating recipes and find the closest thing to what you want to brew on that chart and start from there. It breaks it down simply enough that you won't have to rely on a kit to get the recipe right. Not that there's anything wrong with a kit, but I don't think they're all that necessary.

Some great advice...I will inquire about soem recipes....in the meantime any suggestions on a couple good (store bought) IPA's to sample?

I think Stone's IPA is the best. I'd recommend you try Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, though. It's a pale ale, not an IPA, so it's not as intense. It would make a great bridge from malty beers to an IPA.

NYeric said:
Thanks...I definatley need to upgrade. now that I have learned some of the basics, I realize that what I am buying is ok, but the result is lower than I anticipated.

Yeah that happens from time to time. But I would like to point out, is that you shouldn't get down about the ABV alone not meeting your expectations. Sure it does affect the product, but in general you'll still wind up with something very worthwhile. So don't be bummed. :fro:

zoebisch01 said:
Yeah that happens from time to time. But I would like to point out, is that you shouldn't get down about the ABV alone not meeting your expectations. Sure it does affect the product, but in general you'll still wind up with something very worthwhile. So don't be bummed. :fro:

I hear you, I am sure I won't be quite as bummed when I am tipping the bottle in a positive direction...........

...........I have noticed though the majority of the "novice" recipes all start out with an OG of 1.040-1.042 so they are all fairly weak. No worres I am off to the LHBS and am going to pick up some real ingredients.....:cool:

jarrid said:
I'm not a seasoned pro or anything, but my recommendation is that you do a bit of research. Don't worry, it's fun research! Get two things:
1. Go to a good beer store, preferably one that has the "build your own six pack" option, compile one or two of said six packs of different types of beers. take them home and decide which ones you like enough to try to emulate.
2. If you don't have it already, get a copy of Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing" look for the chart for formulating recipes and find the closest thing to what you want to brew on that chart and start from there. It breaks it down simply enough that you won't have to rely on a kit to get the recipe right. Not that there's anything wrong with a kit, but I don't think they're all that necessary.

Jarrid is totally on the mark with the Papazian book. I am coming back to brewing after intial failures years ago. The book gives you the whole picture for brewing extracts so that you can follow the basic extract instructions and create your own recipies or modify the ones he has in the book. Its very instructional, but also a intresting read.

Yooper Chick said:
I think Stone's IPA is the best. I'd recommend you try Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale, though. It's a pale ale, not an IPA, so it's not as intense. It would make a great bridge from malty beers to an IPA.

OK I just cracked open a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...I really like it....Like it alot! So I realize this is not an IPA, but is this what I can expect basically. I do like it. Too bad I have to work tonight, I would have another....

Also I just bought Papazian's book. Thanks much for the advice!

Well, an IPA is a bit more intense than the SNPA. I would consider SNPA a milder cousin of an IPA. SNPA is an American Pale Ale and I suspected you might like it if you're wanting to head into hophead territory.

If you want, you could do a SNPA clone or a different American pale ale and then head into the IPA zone next batch. English pale ales are good, too, a little more malty than the American version. I can't think of any English one's off the top of my head but I did a Brewer's Best kit that was great.

Let me know if you need some help looking for recipes.

Yooper Chick said:
Let me know if you need some help looking for recipes.

Oh yeaaaa...gimme...gimme:D

I have one that I am going to do in the next couple days, and I was looking for some thoughts on that as well, but I will post that separate

I saw a SNPA clone in the recipe database, here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21220
But he didn't say how it came out- good, I assume. Maybe you can pm him or he can chime in and say how it turned out.

And this one comes from BYO: http://byo.com/recipe/708.html

And yet one more:

6.6 lb Light Malt Extract
1.0 lb Crystal Malt (40-60L)
1.0 oz Perle Hops (60 min boil)
1.0oz Cascade Hops (15 min)
1.25oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
1.0 oz Cascade Hops (Optional - Secondary fermenter dry hop)
Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056
3/4 cup priming suger
Instructions:

Put the 1lb crushed crystal malt in grain bag and steep for 30 minutes in 1.5 to 2 gallons of water. Heat to approximately 170F (not exceeding 180F), remove grain bag, bring water to boil, add extract and boil one hour adding hops at appropriate times.

Ferment in primary one to two weeks. Watch your ferment temperatures, try to keep them in the 63F to 68F range. (Optional) Dry hop in secondary for one to two weeks. Add priming sugar and bottle

So, there are a couple right there.

Yooper Chick said:
So, there are a couple right there.

You are my hero-ette....Thanks so much! I will try the one you wrote out.....

I think I just fell in love with wheats too...I am drinking a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat....Uhhhh gonna have to make this too....hahah this hobby is gonna kill me:D

Welcome to the obsession! I have cases and cases of beer stacked up, one full carboy, one gurgling primary and I'm looking for more beers to make! I also make wine, so that's an issue, too. Good think I have big house!

Well, that's the funny thing. I don't like wheat beers much at all- made one and gave it away. My "Lil Bastard" has some wheat in it- like 2#, for a lighter flavor and head retention. So, for wheat beers, we've got to ask a wheat beer expert.

If you don't like bitter beer an IPA may not be the way to go, the distinctive characteristic of an IPA is it's hoppiness. I would suggest going to a good beverage store and buying a six-pack of a good IPA (sierra nevada and red hook are OK and can even be found at many supermarkets) to see if this is what you would like.

maxy007 said:
Hi Lorena,
Out of all the brews you have made what is your favourite wheat beer? I've just started getting into them and love 'em :mug:

Cheers,

Maxy?

DunkelWeizen is my favorite. A good, widely available commercial example is Franziskaner Dunkel.

Back