Any problem with using "Stale" flaked oats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduane

Reaction score
I need another half pound of flaked oats and I have some Quaker oats that have been opened that are just past their best by date... I'm sure these are stale as they've been opened, but will them being a little old/stale have any impact on my beer (FYI i will be toasting them if that makes a difference)...

I need another half pound of flaked oats and I have some Quaker oats that have been opened that are just past their best by date... I'm sure these are stale as they've been opened, but will them being a little old/stale have any impact on my beer (FYI i will be toasting them if that makes a difference)...

That's probably going to be your call. I'd be worried about what the stale flavors might impart, or what the oats have absorbed flavor-wise while they've been sitting around. There's an easy way to test though....

Make some plain oatmeal out of them with just hot water and taste. If you taste stale or funky flavor in it, don't use it. If it tastes fine, go ahead and use them. :)

Back