I racked it off after a week now my yeast seemed to double overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I've moved the carboy to the garage for cooler temps. Now I've got rings of yeast on the sides of the carboy and a large cake on the bottom.

Did I rack too soon? The top of the carboy is showing a very clear color, middle to bottom its still cloudy.

There is a lot of white stuff... That would be "fatty trub" correct? I'm worried that this is giving the beer that awful flavor.

I suppose I should start another batch and leave the current one alone for as long as I can be patient.

You probably racked too soon, but the yeast will settle out.

No idea what "fatty trub" is.

I did the exact same thing on my first batch. I think I racked too soon as I have the same symptoms.

I'm thinking of getting another kit today and this time I'm leaving in primary for at least 2 weeks if not more.

Depending on what you are brewing, you can leave it in primary for a month. Let the yeast work and clear things up. My beers have improved greatly with increased time on the yeast. Patience is part of the learning process........still fight with it every batch. :drunk:

if you got rings of yeast on top, you got another krauzen forming, meaning it was more than likely still fermenting when you moved it....a lot of us leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle it...skipping secondary and like Doghouse said, letting the yeast clean up their mess.

Just let leve the beer alone for 2 weeks or more...let it finish fermenting and then clear.

In the future if you do chose to secondary take a grav reading on the 7th and the 10th day, if they are the same you can rack. If not it is still fermenting, and should be left alone.

Back