Does Galena taste like oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I brewed a pale ale with Galena for bittering hops. Now that I'm drinking it, I've realized I'm not a fan of Galena. It almost tastes like my beer has oxidized a little bit, but I'm wondering if it's just the Galena hops.

Does Galena taste a little like oxidation?

I would not say that galena hops taste like oxidation. I might call their bitterring component a little on the strong/pungent/harsh side of things, but not oxidized.

Are you sure the beer isn't oxidized? You can make a tea with some of your remaining Galena to double check. I heard on the Brewing Network that the brewers at Anchor test out new varieties of hops by uncapping a bottle of Bud Light, dropping in some hops, recapping, and drinking after a (I forget how long) period of time.

Give it some time before you drink it up. I use it for bittering and even a dry hop experiment which my buddies that like ipa's with a bite preferred. The key is to let it age 4-5 weeks. When it is green I describe it is as metallic and weird, but it comes around after it mellows. Especially in a pale ale that doesn't have a ton of hops to cover it up.

It is minty and pleasant with some age. Almost neutral but more interesting. But I don't exceed 25 ibus with the bittering addition.

I just threw in an ounce as a dry hop along with Columbus and Amarillo in a hoppy amber.

With that said, it is not in the same league with Columbus or Chinook as my favorite pale/ipa bittering hops. But I really like it in stouts and darker beers.

Back