Fermentation Chamber Heat Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbco1

Reaction score
I am planning to buy a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber. Initially I plan to use it for cooling, but will need to use it in "heating mode" next winter. I am looking at a johnson or ranco controller for heating and cooling.

I need a heat source that I can put into the freezer in the winter to maintain my fermentation temp. I was thinking about a small radiant heater. What do you think? Does anyone have a suggestion for heating? Also, if you have any thoughts or recommendations on the controller I'd appreciate the help! :mug:

I use a plant seed germination heat mat, placed near the carboy but not touching it.

Search the forums and you'll find a bunch of ideas like the paint can, ceramic bulbs, radiant heaters, reptile heaters, battery warmers, etc. Dual stage controllers from Ranco and Johnson will work fine but the cheapest method is probably the ebay controller.

Ebay Controller, ceramic space heater w/fan (adjustable settings on it, $20), and minifridge, all mounted on the Fermenator (custom built wood/foam chamber)...picture fridge sized cabinet w/two levels...heat from below, cool from above.

I have the heater set on top of a couple bricks and use a small board to deflect heat from direct contact with fermenters, diffuses heat better.

All said, works well...i keep the temp probe insulated w/bubble wrap and taped to fermenter, away from heat/cool source.

good luck w/finding what works best for your setup...

Thanks. This is a lot of help! The STC-1000 ebay controller seems like a good way to go. I found what appears to be a good diy you tube video that shows a nice build: . I like the paint can idea from copyright1997. Another fun build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am more of a user when it comes to all things electrical. So I use the Ranco Dual stage controller because it is easy to use and it is me proof. Heat side is a ceramic bulb. I built, err make that rebuilding a "Fermentation Chamber". The advantage of this setup is the entire chamber should be at the programed temp +/- 3 degrees not just the area of the germination mat (or brew belt) carboy. I do mostly ales, so having one temp generally works for me for multi batch fermentation/ageing. BTW use a PC fan to prevent striations in temp.
Good Luck, M8B

If myour freezer is frost free; most will have a defrost heater in the cabinet. I just wired that to the heat output as it was a 300w heater. Works great; keeps thing comfy in there in the winter.

Back