About the cloudy beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodatech

Reaction score
I know I am new to homebrewing, and to this forum, and maybe the veterans will change my mind....So try not to flame me too bad....

Is there anyone that actually PREFERS their beer a bit cloudy? I know...I'm strange.

There is something nice about a crystal clear glass of beer bubbling nicely, but isn't there something nice about a slightly imperfect cloudyness too?

...As long as the taste is great I mean!

Just interested in others opinions.

Chill haze (which I think is what you are talking about) is tasteless and will not affect how your beer is sensed on your palate. The only time I would be worried about chill haze or the general cloudiness of a beer is if you are entering a competition. Depending on the style you enter your beer, you would want either a clear beer or a cloudy one.

I personally spend the extra 10 seconds to pour some poly-clar into my beer if I am entering a comp for something like a pale ale. If I am entering a wheat beer, I actually spend the extra 10 seconds to throw some flour at the end of the boil to make sure I get some haziness.

Some people say that they can get crystal clear beer without any finnings, that's totally cool but for my process I dont get "crystal clear" beer without adding gelatin or poly clar...even if I cold crash.

I guess, in a round about way, Im saying its personal preference. But if you get your clarity right, you can gain 1-2 extra points in a comp.
-Jefe-

Thats cool. I have never entered a competition, I just like to make good tasting beer for less money than average store bought beer.

I don't have the room for a lot of equpment in my current home. For things like wort chillers or anything like that. Maybe once the housing market recovers a touch I can sell this one, and move to a house that is more homebrew-friendly. :)

I made a creme ale and since the lhbs was out of carapils I put oatmeal in the mash for head retention, realizing that it would not clear. I liked it so well that I made another batch just like it. Clarity is for competitions, taste is for me.

I don't care if it is cloudy - how does it taste - that's what matters

OK im glad im not the only one. I may try for a super clear batch some time...but right now im liking brewing and tasting!

Don't fool yourself, if it's cloudy it's usually a flaw unless the style calls for it. The 1st taste is always with the eye. I mean if I serve you a delicious sandwich but looks like it came out of a trash can you'd enjoy it a bit less. No?

When you're new to brewing, you just want to take "the high road" and just go by how it tastes. As you progress, every variable matters and you want your beers to be perfect (and there is always something that could be improved). All part of the obsession IMO.

**puts on flame resistant suit**

All are allowed their opinions - I've been brewing for 23 years, and I've heard lots of them - if it makes you happy, then you're on the right track - if you want to enter a competition then it matters - if you and your buds like it, rock on!

Cheers!

Last time I poured a HotD Blue Dot and a Stone Ruination, they were both cloudy as hell. On certain beers (mostly big IPAs) I do actually like it. I don't think those brewers are concerned that some BJCP judge might ding them a few points for appearance.

I've played around a little bit with gelatin, but mostly have decided that it's pointless.

Chinay is one of my favorite beers so I have always been found of cloudy ones. I actually prefer cloudiness in beer. Ever since i started hombrewing I feel that clear beers somehow have less. Taste is paramount though. And there is something to be said for being able to view all of the bubbles in a glass

cjb said:
Last time I poured a HotD Blue Dot and a Stone Ruination, they were both cloudy as hell.

Just drank a bomber of Ruination tonight and it was crystal clear. And delicious.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using HB Talk

I'm actually put off by cloudy beers, unless they are designed to be that way. I don't care for wheat beers, so I generally expect my beers to be crystal clear unless it has a bit of a hops haze.

Latest posts

Back