Can "Mash Hops" hops addition go in at extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score

OK, so im brewing a beer that requires a "MH" or Mash hops addition of 1.5oz Chinook. My question is can i add the hops to my mash when i add my grains or extract instead? Or should i forget about the Chinook altogether? :drunk:

Is this the same thing as First Wort Hopping (FWH)? If so I was wondering the same thing myself. To say it another way, if the hops were steeped along with the specialty grains (for extract brews) would it have the same effect as adding them during the sparge (for all-grain)?

Mash hops are added to the mash and left in during the sparge, First Wort Hops are added at the start of the sparge and usually left in for the duration of the boil. For an extract batch I'd put the Mash hops in my grain steeping bag and steep for as long as the mash is specified in the original AG recipe.

Great! Thanks.

I didnt word my question the greatest, but thats what i was planning on doing (thats what i meant when i said "add the hops to my mash when i add my grains) I was hoping that i would still be able to add the Chinook to the beer. Since i already bought it and all.

Out of curiosity are you making Mike McDole's Tasty APA? I just kegged mine and am waiting for it to carb up, the hydro samples were damn tasty!

No, But ill have to look into it... im a HUGE fan of hops, so im going with the Pliny the Bastid (Supposedly 278 BU's!) Its calling for 10oz of hops in the boil with an additional 11.25oz in dry hopping for a total of over 21oz of hops!!!

Latest posts

Back