last bottle is only half full...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
So what do you guys do when you're bottling, and the last bottle you're filling ends up only half full before you run out of beer to fill it with? Do you try to gently pour it into several other bottles that aren't as full, or just cap it as is, or drink it? Am I missing any other options?

I just capped it having already tasted a sample of it earlier. I'm not sure it's going to carbonate properly though...

earlytimes said:
So what do you guys do when you're bottling, and the last bottle you're filling ends up only half full before you run out of beer to fill it with? Do you try to gently pour it into several other bottles that aren't as full, or just cap it as is, or drink it? Am I missing any other options?

I just capped it having already tasted a sample of it earlier. I'm not sure it's going to carbonate properly though...
OH for crying out loud. Cap it, and when you just can't wait any longer to try the new brew....try that one.
No, it won't be as good as all the others, but heck...it was only a half bottle.

:mug:

p.s. What did you brew?

Damn! Is that what you're supposed to do??? I had a little left over and just drank it...it was green, flat, yet surprisingly tasty! Really though, I've had a great time tasting the beer at various stages of brewing, fermenting, and bottling. I've learned a lot by just having a bottle every 2-3 days, and tasting the difference as it ages, and carbonates.

How about when you get down below the spigot? Today I bottled my first batch and found out that it gets real difficult below the spigot. I tried the ol' tilt the bucket method but I figure it would be easier with help. That method did work decently but I got a lot more bubbles than are desirable. I ended up labeling those bottle caps with a B so that I can remember that they were the - bottom of the batch they got a lot of bubbles and that they might be bad. So what do you guys do when you get down below the spigot?

We have only done a few brews, but we usually stick the last half bottle in the fridge and use it for cooking chili or something else later in the week, since we already drank the hydro sample before starting to bottle.

RegionalChaos said:
I drink it. MMMmmmm..... My hydrometer samples too... MMmmmmm......

Yup...Me too.

Actually with the half bottle, I put my thumb over the opening and give it a bit of a vigerous shake to give it a bit of a fizz before I drink it....

You could also get a bigger glass, pour out a full beer and add the little half guy to it...

Pour it on the ground, out of respect for our brewing brothers who have gone to that big trub cake in the sky. Observe a moment of silence.
rip.gif

You can't dump it, I mean you do know the saying right? "Everytime you spill a beer, an angel burns in hell"

:D

So many great Ideas! Thanks guys!

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Feed it to the pet of your choice. My personal favorite is ferrets.
No ferrets here. :( I'd have to give it to our cat, but he's trouble enough as it is...

BlindLemonLars said:
Pour it on the ground, out of respect for our brewing brothers who have gone to that big trub cake in the sky. Observe a moment of silence.
rip.gif
That tombstone smiley got me laughing! that's great.

I'll remind everyone that gave me trouble for not drinking it that I said I already sampled it! Ironically, if I hadn't sampled it, I probably would have had enough to fill the bottle the rest of the way up!

On a more serious note, after sleeping on it (yes, this is what I dream about now), I decided I probably should have taken a little out of the bottles that were more full and placed that in the half full bottle until it was full enough. That's what I'll be doing in the future.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

sport-smiley-009.gif
[/IMG]
the_bird said:
The half-bottle's for sampling. What, you don't like flat, warm beer? Let me guess - you dump your hydrometer samples, don't you? :rolleyes:

There's a spit vs. swallow joke just waiting somewhere in here, but I'm stepping away.

As for me- I drink it (the half full bottle that is)

For what it's worth, and I know this is an old thread, I crack open a new bottled water, add a new Crystal Light package, squeeze out the air of the plastic bottle, cap it, shake it, open it, and try my best to pour it quietly into the half-full bottle, cap with appropriate headspace, mark with masking tape, and bottle condition the Shandy for SWMBO. She loves it and it tastes a helluva lot better than green beer.

Back