Another - Is this mold? (and if so what should I do) question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohnopirates

Reaction score
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to leave a batch in primary fermentation for... 7 weeks? maybe 8.

When I opened the bucket today to check on it (bottling tomorrow, hopefully), this is what I saw:
http://imgur.com/8Q6Nh

I'm very inexperienced, so while I think this is just leftover foam... I don't know.

If it is mold, is there a way to save the batch? Rack from the bottom perhaps?
How could I know if it is mold as well? The beer has a slightly, very slightly, sour smell - almost like a Flander's Red. It was supposed to be an amber ale.

Thanks for any help.

I don't see ANY indication of mold, looks damn good. Those look like c02 bubbles. You will have a nice hard yeast cake. Take a gravity sample, drink it and I bet it taste like flat beer.

It is almost certainly just the kreusen that has stuck to the side of the fermenter. Every batch I have ever brewed has had this to varying degrees. If you're smelling it by sticking your nose in the bucket you're smelling some of that kreusen and it doesn't smell very good. Draw a sample and smell that (and taste it while you're at it).

Back