Where can i have grains malted for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
Have a specialty grain I'd like to use that is unmalted. I was wondering if anyone knows who could do it or where I could have it malted in the Baltimore area. I'll only need 2lbs so I could ship if I needed, but I was considering getting 50lb done as well.

Thanks, I've read through those. I'm just worried about my timing of the soaking and drying times being affected by my work schedule. Is there much room for variation in the 8hr/2hr cycle? I have a food dehydrator I could use which keeps me from needing to build something. Is there a good way to clean the acrospires and rootlets from the malt after they're separated?

I've never malted......however when I used to be a farmer in my previous life......we used this process to proove the germination of our seeds......

We did the double soak method as described.

Then we would lay a soaked towel with excess moisture squeezed out on a large cookie sheet, spread the soaked seeds on the towel, then cover another damp towel.

Place in the fridge to hinder mold growth and check twice daily. redampen towels as necessary.

Then dry in your dehydrator. Once dry the acrospires should be rather brittle and fall off quite easily.

If your specialty grain is precious you could practice your technique on some cheaper grains.

It's definitely not cost prohibitive. My question about removing the acrospires and rootlets wasn't how to disconnect them from the seed but how to completely get all of them out of the pile of seeds so they don't go into my mash/wort/beer as I've heard they can cloud your beer considerably.

Ps , I'm not saying what it is because it's creative and original and I'd really like to see how it turns out and put it on some contests before a hundred other people try brewing the same thing from hbt and it's not creative anymore. I'll share recipes eventually!

As to the soaking times, I have gone +/-2 hours on both soaking and resting drained with no problems. I generally soak for 6-10 (aiming for 8) and drain and let sit moist for the same.

To remove the rootlets, put the dried grain into a large bucket so there is a good bit of room left, I use a five gallon bucket and do it in 5 pound batches. Put the lid on and shake it like crazy. This will knock the rootlets free. Then set up a fan or shopvac set to blow just above a second bucket. Pour the grain through the air stream into the second bucket. If you aim carefully the grain will land in the bucket and the rootlets and such will blow away. This makes a mess so don't do it in your kitchen. Repeat until cleared to your liking.

I'm curious as to what it is, I thought I had malted everything under the sun, so the idea that I missed something has me intrigued.

Good luck.

Back